PDA

View Full Version : Automotive paint colour charts?



Pages : [1] 2

athol
02-07-2005, 01:33 PM
My wife and I have been discussing painting the new Volvo body shell a
different colour. It's "her" car, so she gets to choose the colour...

Does anybody know where we can find automotive paint colour charts like
the ones you can get from hardware stores for house paint?

It's looking suspiciously like no such thing exists. :-(

--
Athol
<http://cust.idl.com.au/athol> Linux Registered User # 254000
The state of infrastructure in New South Wales is a disgrace.
I'm a Libran Engineer. I don't argue, I discuss.

John_H
02-07-2005, 01:53 PM
athol wrote:

>My wife and I have been discussing painting the new Volvo body shell a
>different colour. It's "her" car, so she gets to choose the colour...
>
>Does anybody know where we can find automotive paint colour charts like
>the ones you can get from hardware stores for house paint?
>
>It's looking suspiciously like no such thing exists. :-(

They're actually called paint chips. Any crash repairs supplier
should have them.

--
John H

John_H
02-07-2005, 02:13 PM
John_H wrote:

>athol wrote:
>
>>My wife and I have been discussing painting the new Volvo body shell a
>>different colour. It's "her" car, so she gets to choose the colour...
>>
>>Does anybody know where we can find automotive paint colour charts like
>>the ones you can get from hardware stores for house paint?
>>
>>It's looking suspiciously like no such thing exists. :-(
>
>They're actually called paint chips. Any crash repairs supplier
>should have them.

Or, if you trust your monitor...
http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclns.html

--
John H

rmcgrice
02-07-2005, 04:43 PM
athol <me@privacy.net> wrote in news:1120271353.885393@idlweb:

> My wife and I have been discussing painting the new Volvo body shell a
> different colour. It's "her" car, so she gets to choose the colour...
>
> Does anybody know where we can find automotive paint colour charts like
> the ones you can get from hardware stores for house paint?
>
> It's looking suspiciously like no such thing exists. :-(
>

Could be difficult, Athol.
Most paint shops have it all on computer.

Try another way, like I did.
I was looking for a white of some description to paint the big Jaguar, and
settled on the "ice-cream" white colour of an early nineties Mazda 626.
Asked an owner of one, one day for the paint code number. Took it to my
favourite paint shop, who told me it was Cygnus White, and mixed 6 litres.

The hardest part will be getting your wife to picture the Volvo in a
particular colour. Most women find that difficult, and after you have
painted it say "I didn't think it would turn out like that!"

Ron

athol
02-07-2005, 04:53 PM
John_H <john4271@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Or, if you trust your monitor...
> http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclns.html

Hmm. I'm getting a "connection timed out" error. I guess that I'll have
to try again later...

--
Athol
<http://cust.idl.com.au/athol> Linux Registered User # 254000
The state of infrastructure in New South Wales is a disgrace.
I'm a Libran Engineer. I don't argue, I discuss.

athol
02-07-2005, 05:43 PM
rmcgrice <mcgrice@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Try another way, like I did.
> I was looking for a white of some description to paint the big Jaguar, and
> settled on the "ice-cream" white colour of an early nineties Mazda 626.
> Asked an owner of one, one day for the paint code number. Took it to my
> favourite paint shop, who told me it was Cygnus White, and mixed 6 litres.

If I knew of a car with the sort of colour she wants, I'd know the colour.

The link that John H posted is not bad, except that what they've done is
to scan the paint sheets from the manufacturers. Unfortunately, I don't
know what model and year to try...

What she's thinking of is a light but solid colour (ie not pastel) in a
slightly purple pink. Not decided on metallic or non metallic...

> The hardest part will be getting your wife to picture the Volvo in a
> particular colour. Most women find that difficult, and after you have
> painted it say "I didn't think it would turn out like that!"

If she comes out with that, it'll be "you chose the colour, live with
it". :-)

--
Athol
<http://cust.idl.com.au/athol> Linux Registered User # 254000
The state of infrastructure in New South Wales is a disgrace.
I'm a Libran Engineer. I don't argue, I discuss.

rmcgrice
02-07-2005, 06:23 PM
athol <me@privacy.net> wrote in news:1120286258.886696@idlweb:


> What she's thinking of is a light but solid colour (ie not pastel) in
> a slightly purple pink. Not decided on metallic or non metallic...

Seen something like that on a Territory.
http://www.ford.com.au/range/territory/views/exteriorcolours.asp

Colour Icon, but then I'm am colour blind :-)

Ron

athol
02-07-2005, 07:03 PM
rmcgrice <mcgrice@newsguy.com> wrote:
> athol <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>> What she's thinking of is a light but solid colour (ie not pastel) in
>> a slightly purple pink. Not decided on metallic or non metallic...

> Seen something like that on a Territory.
> http://www.ford.com.au/range/territory/views/exteriorcolours.asp

> Colour Icon, but then I'm am colour blind :-)

Err. Nothing even vaguely like it.

I worked my way through the other models. No colour even close on
any of the models.

Found an error in the Falcon ute page. Select XR, then click on the
purple shade "menace" and you get the green "envi". Too dark, anyway.

--
Athol
<http://cust.idl.com.au/athol> Linux Registered User # 254000
The state of infrastructure in New South Wales is a disgrace.
I'm a Libran Engineer. I don't argue, I discuss.

a9x5l
02-07-2005, 07:23 PM
On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 02:29:08 +0000, athol wrote:

> My wife and I have been discussing painting the new Volvo body shell a
> different colour. It's "her" car, so she gets to choose the colour...
>
> Does anybody know where we can find automotive paint colour charts like
> the ones you can get from hardware stores for house paint?
>
> It's looking suspiciously like no such thing exists. :-(

The last time I painted a car, I went to Paintmobile in Dandenong
(probably not much good to you!), they had books full of paint chips for
just about every model car you could imagine. There might be a similar
sort of automotive paint supply shop where you live.

--
a9x5l

Noddy
02-07-2005, 07:33 PM
"athol" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:1120271353.885393@idlweb...
> My wife and I have been discussing painting the new Volvo body shell a
> different colour. It's "her" car, so she gets to choose the colour...
>
> Does anybody know where we can find automotive paint colour charts like
> the ones you can get from hardware stores for house paint?
>
> It's looking suspiciously like no such thing exists. :-(

Automotive paint supplier.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

OzOne
02-07-2005, 07:33 PM
On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 18:15:26 +1000, a9x5l <a9x5l@hotmail.com>
scribbled thusly:

>On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 02:29:08 +0000, athol wrote:
>
>> My wife and I have been discussing painting the new Volvo body shell a
>> different colour. It's "her" car, so she gets to choose the colour...
>>
>> Does anybody know where we can find automotive paint colour charts like
>> the ones you can get from hardware stores for house paint?
>>
>> It's looking suspiciously like no such thing exists. :-(
>
>The last time I painted a car, I went to Paintmobile in Dandenong
>(probably not much good to you!), they had books full of paint chips for
>just about every model car you could imagine. There might be a similar
>sort of automotive paint supply shop where you live.

Hunt around for a Dulux auto paint supplier, they have books of paint
chips that you can hunt thru


Oz1...of the 3 twins.

I welcome you to crackerbox palace,We've been expecting you.

athol
02-07-2005, 07:53 PM
Noddy <dg4163@_nospam_dod.com.au> wrote:

> Automotive paint supplier.

That means that I have to get _her_ to the shop... That implies also
having a 2-yo with us...

--
Athol
<http://cust.idl.com.au/athol> Linux Registered User # 254000
The state of infrastructure in New South Wales is a disgrace.
I'm a Libran Engineer. I don't argue, I discuss.

Noddy
02-07-2005, 09:13 PM
"athol" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:1120293994.382120@idlweb...

> That means that I have to get _her_ to the shop... That implies also
> having a 2-yo with us...

Ah. Bad move :)

Has she decided on a colour, and do you know what car it's on?

--
Regards,
Noddy.

girl-sat
02-07-2005, 09:23 PM
what ever you do..chuck some perl through it or atleast ask them what
they think although a bad move in painting shops as they instantly
think you have no idea about anything,it looks great in plain
colors.gives it depth,

Have fun.....at kinder...don't forget to wear your smock athol.

atec
03-07-2005, 12:13 AM
athol wrote:
> rmcgrice <mcgrice@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>
>>Try another way, like I did.
>>I was looking for a white of some description to paint the big Jaguar, and
>>settled on the "ice-cream" white colour of an early nineties Mazda 626.
>>Asked an owner of one, one day for the paint code number. Took it to my
>>favourite paint shop, who told me it was Cygnus White, and mixed 6 litres.
>
>
> If I knew of a car with the sort of colour she wants, I'd know the colour.
>
> The link that John H posted is not bad, except that what they've done is
> to scan the paint sheets from the manufacturers. Unfortunately, I don't
> know what model and year to try...
>
> What she's thinking of is a light but solid colour (ie not pastel) in a
> slightly purple pink. Not decided on metallic or non metallic...
>
>
>>The hardest part will be getting your wife to picture the Volvo in a
>>particular colour. Most women find that difficult, and after you have
>>painted it say "I didn't think it would turn out like that!"
>
>
> If she comes out with that, it'll be "you chose the colour, live with
> it". :-)
>
Why not take a house paint sheet and have the colour matched off it with
one of the computers . although in 2003 and 04 ford had some great
metallic purples .
Purple pink ?
ich . to blocky maybe ..

athol
03-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Noddy <dg4163@_nospam_dod.com.au> wrote:
> "athol" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>> That means that I have to get _her_ to the shop... That implies also
>> having a 2-yo with us...

> Ah. Bad move :)

> Has she decided on a colour, and do you know what car it's on?

She's decided on the general shade (between two nail polish colours
she has) but we've never seen the colour on a car. If we had, we'd
know where to get the colour from.

--
Athol
<http://cust.idl.com.au/athol> Linux Registered User # 254000
The state of infrastructure in New South Wales is a disgrace.
I'm a Libran Engineer. I don't argue, I discuss.

Patrick Young
03-07-2005, 04:23 PM
athol wrote:

> She's decided on the general shade (between two nail polish colours
> she has) but we've never seen the colour on a car. If we had, we'd
> know where to get the colour from.

Between two nail polish colours, pink and purple? These colours
are only really any good in small quantities. Not sure she will
like the outcome. Might seriously make sense to spray up an old
panel and check it out first. I think a friend of mine you know
has a g/f that made a similar mistake choosing a colour for one
of the old flacons that was quickly corrected.

New driveway is looking good, would not want to park the wrong
colour car on it :-)

athol
03-07-2005, 05:43 PM
Patrick Young <patrick@hilux.ace.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> athol wrote:

>> She's decided on the general shade (between two nail polish colours
>> she has) but we've never seen the colour on a car. If we had, we'd
>> know where to get the colour from.

> Between two nail polish colours, pink and purple? These colours
> are only really any good in small quantities. Not sure she will
> like the outcome. Might seriously make sense to spray up an old
> panel and check it out first. I think a friend of mine you know
> has a g/f that made a similar mistake choosing a colour for one
> of the old flacons that was quickly corrected.

> New driveway is looking good, would not want to park the wrong
> colour car on it :-)

Looks like she's found the colour...

1955 Ford "Tropical Rose"

<http://www.billsclassiccars.com/carpages/pinkfairlane.html>

Somehow, I don't think that too many people are going to expect performance
from a Volvo this colour. Likely to become known, though. :-)

--
Athol
<http://cust.idl.com.au/athol> Linux Registered User # 254000
The state of infrastructure in New South Wales is a disgrace.
I'm a Libran Engineer. I don't argue, I discuss.

a9x5l
03-07-2005, 06:13 PM
On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 06:39:19 +0000, athol wrote:

> Looks like she's found the colour...
>
> 1955 Ford "Tropical Rose"
>
> <http://www.billsclassiccars.com/carpages/pinkfairlane.html>
>
> Somehow, I don't think that too many people are going to expect performance
> from a Volvo this colour. Likely to become known, though. :-)

Be prepared for heaps of abuse. My wife got me to paint her first car(a
stinking Gemini!) pink and I got to the stage were I couldn't drive it(not
that I wanted too!) without someone yelling out "****ing poofter!" or
something similar nearly every time I went somewhere. I ****ing hated that
car ;-(

--
a9x5l

OzOne
03-07-2005, 07:03 PM
On 03 Jul 2005 06:39:19 GMT, athol <me@privacy.net> scribbled thusly:
>
>Looks like she's found the colour...
>
>1955 Ford "Tropical Rose"
>
><http://www.billsclassiccars.com/carpages/pinkfairlane.html>
>
>Somehow, I don't think that too many people are going to expect performance
>from a Volvo this colour. Likely to become known, though. :-)

She's pulling your leg!
No-one would want to drive a car that colour every day.....NO-ONE!


Oz1...of the 3 twins.

I welcome you to crackerbox palace,We've been expecting you.

Hosted by: Eyo Technologies Pty Ltd. Sponsored by: Actiontec Pty Ltd