PDA

View Full Version : File browsing slow over network



Tim H
18-07-2005, 07:53 PM
Server: Windows 2003 with SP1 installed, Active Directory
Client: Windows XP Pro with SP2 installed.

Problem: There is a folder on the server that has about 14,000 objects.
When I try to browse through this folder (in list view) the window will
freeze for up to a minute as a scroll through the list of files. Typically
I can scroll up to the "L"s and then the screen just freezes. Sometimes I
can scroll all the way through the files and then when scrolling back to
the beginning, it freezes then.

This happens whether I browse using UNC or a mapped drive. IP is the only
protocol installed. I've tried installing IPX on both the client and
server without improvement.

This is affecting other programs that need to access that folder as well.
If I go to the command prompt and do a DIR/S, the contents of the folder
get displayed without any problem... No slowdown, no freezing.

I suspect it has something to do with the DNS being set up incorrectly, but
I'm not sure.

Has anyone encountered/solved this? Thanks in advance!

Tim

pcbutts1
18-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Tim H <newsgroups@hyattcomputer.com> wrote:

> Server: Windows 2003 with SP1 installed, Active Directory Client:
> Windows XP Pro with SP2 installed.

Would you like me to create a few wild and false assumptions about you and
give you the third degree over them?

> Problem: There is a folder on the server that has about 14,000 objects.

There's no glamour in it.

> When I try to browse through this folder (in list view) the window will
> freeze for up to a minute as a scroll through the list of files.

You are allowing people to treat you that way.

> Typically I can scroll up to the "L"s and then the screen just freezes.

Maybe you can, but it would be better if you didn't.

> Sometimes I can scroll all the way through the files and then when
> scrolling back to the beginning, it freezes then.

Only sometimes?

> This happens whether I browse using UNC or a mapped drive.

This must be my lucky day.

> IP is the only protocol installed.

The world would be better off without people like you.

> I've tried installing IPX on both the client and server without
> improvement.

I've created a monster.

> This is affecting other programs that need to access that folder as well.

This is not a parking lot.

> If I go to the command prompt and do a DIR/S, the contents of the folder
> get displayed without any problem.

How long have you been suffering?

> No slowdown, no freezing.

You have all the advantages in the world.

> I suspect it has something to do with the DNS being set up incorrectly,
> but I'm not sure.

Sure you are sure, H.

> Has anyone encountered/solved this?

This is my horrible little sister.

> Thanks in advance!

Get ****ed in advance.

> Tim.

Many more.

Mark L. Ferguson
18-07-2005, 09:33 PM
restart windows, after you go to start/run, and type CMD, then at that prompt type: IPCONFIG /flushDNS and then : IPCONFIG
/registerDNS

--
Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
"Tim H" <newsgroups@hyattcomputer.deletethispart.com> wrote in message news:aKSdnbDkKZ1L5EbfRVn-qw@giganews.com...
> Server: Windows 2003 with SP1 installed, Active Directory
> Client: Windows XP Pro with SP2 installed.
>
> Problem: There is a folder on the server that has about 14,000 objects.
> When I try to browse through this folder (in list view) the window will
> freeze for up to a minute as a scroll through the list of files. Typically
> I can scroll up to the "L"s and then the screen just freezes. Sometimes I
> can scroll all the way through the files and then when scrolling back to
> the beginning, it freezes then.
>
> This happens whether I browse using UNC or a mapped drive. IP is the only
> protocol installed. I've tried installing IPX on both the client and
> server without improvement.
>
> This is affecting other programs that need to access that folder as well.
> If I go to the command prompt and do a DIR/S, the contents of the folder
> get displayed without any problem... No slowdown, no freezing.
>
> I suspect it has something to do with the DNS being set up incorrectly, but
> I'm not sure.
>
> Has anyone encountered/solved this? Thanks in advance!
>
> Tim

Hosted by: Eyo Technologies Pty Ltd. Sponsored by: Actiontec Pty Ltd