PDA

View Full Version : Win XP Update advice needed pls



dfrog
19-07-2005, 07:23 AM
In order to help a friend with XP Home (sp1), to update to SP2, and who has
NOT been running Win Update (gulp), and who is on dialup, is it possible to
find out on his computer which updates he needs (other than SP2 itself) and
then for me (on Broadband) to download these on my PC, burn to CD and then
install on his PC ? I think there may be quite a few MBs involved here.
I have carried out all the other steps neccessary prior to installing SP2
from CD.

dfrog

Jerry
19-07-2005, 07:36 AM
Get The Belarc Advisor at www.belarc.com and run it on the system. It will
read things and provide a list of needed updates. Also, AutoPatcher 5.1 will
provide many updates as one big download; see
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showforum=89

"dfrog" <dfrog@lineone.net> wrote in message
news:3k2gshFs9rphU1@individual.net...
> In order to help a friend with XP Home (sp1), to update to SP2, and who
> has NOT been running Win Update (gulp), and who is on dialup, is it
> possible to find out on his computer which updates he needs (other than
> SP2 itself) and then for me (on Broadband) to download these on my PC,
> burn to CD and then install on his PC ? I think there may be quite a few
> MBs involved here.
> I have carried out all the other steps neccessary prior to installing SP2
> from CD.
>
> dfrog
>

Ted Zieglar
19-07-2005, 07:43 AM
You're a good friend. Here are the answers to your questions:

SP 2 is cumulative, meaning that it includes all previously required
updates. You are quite right that SP 2 can be a huge download, but
fortunately you can order SP 2 on CD directly from Microsoft, for free.
That's by far the easiest and best way to ensure that your friend's computer
will be updated correctly. It's right here:

"Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD"
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

Any service pack will cause havoc to a computer that has not been properly
maintained. Don't even think of installing SP 2 until your friend's computer
has been completely updated and is 100% problem free. Look here for
assistance:

"What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2"
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

"Windows XP Service Pack 2"
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

With SP 2, as with any upgrade to an operating system, meticulous
preparation virtually guarantees success.
--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"dfrog" <dfrog@lineone.net> wrote in message
news:3k2gshFs9rphU1@individual.net...
> In order to help a friend with XP Home (sp1), to update to SP2, and who
has
> NOT been running Win Update (gulp), and who is on dialup, is it possible
to
> find out on his computer which updates he needs (other than SP2 itself)
and
> then for me (on Broadband) to download these on my PC, burn to CD and then
> install on his PC ? I think there may be quite a few MBs involved here.
> I have carried out all the other steps neccessary prior to installing SP2
> from CD.
>
> dfrog
>
>

compsalvage_cscs@hotmail.com
19-07-2005, 07:44 AM
Go here....
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Download SP2.
Burn it to a CD.
Copy the CD to a folder you will create called "SP2" in the root of the
drive where XP is installed.eg. C:\SP2 (Better would be a Secondary HD
on a different Controller).
Run Setup.

Good Luck.
Post back your results.

dfrog
19-07-2005, 08:53 AM
Jerry,
Many thanks for that help. I have downloaded and run Belarc Advisor on my PC
and I can see from the results that having run it on friend's PC, it will
list "Missing Microsoft Security Hotfixes" (there are none missing on mine
:-) )

When I have run this on friend's PC & Identified what he needs to download,
is there anywhere I can find these Hotfixes & download to MY PC (faster -
Broadband connection - anticipated many MB's) then transfer & install on his
PC.

Having read the advice from Ted Zieglar and part of his advice to look at
>>>>>>>.

"What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2"
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

I had already looked at this site (did try on my own first before asking for
help), and found the following advice there amongst other advice which I
have already carried out :-

. Get the latest Windows updates. Before you install SP2, get your
version of Windows completely up-to-date with the latest performance and
security updates. Go to the Windows Update Web site, click Express Install,
and then install all high priority updates listed.

which made me think that as well as doing a virus scan / adware /
parasite check etc, I should carry out this stage also 'BEFORE' I install
SP2 from the disk that I already have from M/S (already SP2'd mine & 2 other
PCs for friends all successfully, but they were all up to date with
Hotfixes)

So, bottom line - I can now find out more easily which Hotfixes he
needs - where can I find them in order for me to download on MY PC to then
transfer to his PC ?

My head is spinning a bit just now!!



dfrog







"Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
news:elG2Xd9iFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Get The Belarc Advisor at www.belarc.com and run it on the system. It will
> read things and provide a list of needed updates. Also, AutoPatcher 5.1
> will provide many updates as one big download; see
> http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showforum=89
>
> "dfrog" <dfrog@lineone.net> wrote in message
> news:3k2gshFs9rphU1@individual.net...
>> In order to help a friend with XP Home (sp1), to update to SP2, and who
>> has NOT been running Win Update (gulp), and who is on dialup, is it
>> possible to find out on his computer which updates he needs (other than
>> SP2 itself) and then for me (on Broadband) to download these on my PC,
>> burn to CD and then install on his PC ? I think there may be quite a few
>> MBs involved here.
>> I have carried out all the other steps neccessary prior to installing SP2
>> from CD.
>>
>> dfrog
>>
>
>

dfrog
19-07-2005, 08:53 AM
Ted,
Thank you so much for your response.
I have just replied to 'Jerry' and rather than duplicate my reply, can I ask
you to see that one please
Thanks again

dfrog

"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
news:Ozxt$f9iFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> You're a good friend. Here are the answers to your questions:
>
> SP 2 is cumulative, meaning that it includes all previously required
> updates. You are quite right that SP 2 can be a huge download, but
> fortunately you can order SP 2 on CD directly from Microsoft, for free.
> That's by far the easiest and best way to ensure that your friend's
> computer
> will be updated correctly. It's right here:
>
> "Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD"
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
>
> Any service pack will cause havoc to a computer that has not been properly
> maintained. Don't even think of installing SP 2 until your friend's
> computer
> has been completely updated and is 100% problem free. Look here for
> assistance:
>
> "What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2"
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
>
> "Windows XP Service Pack 2"
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx
>
> With SP 2, as with any upgrade to an operating system, meticulous
> preparation virtually guarantees success.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> "dfrog" <dfrog@lineone.net> wrote in message
> news:3k2gshFs9rphU1@individual.net...
>> In order to help a friend with XP Home (sp1), to update to SP2, and who
> has
>> NOT been running Win Update (gulp), and who is on dialup, is it possible
> to
>> find out on his computer which updates he needs (other than SP2 itself)
> and
>> then for me (on Broadband) to download these on my PC, burn to CD and
>> then
>> install on his PC ? I think there may be quite a few MBs involved here.
>> I have carried out all the other steps neccessary prior to installing SP2
>> from CD.
>>
>> dfrog
>>
>>
>

dfrog
19-07-2005, 08:53 AM
Compsalvage,
Thank you for your response - really appreciated.
I have replied to 'Jerry' can I ask you to view that reply please (saves
duplication)

dfrog

<compsalvage_cscs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1121719229.759603.90550@o13g2000cwo.googlegro ups.com...
> Go here....
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
>
> Download SP2.
> Burn it to a CD.
> Copy the CD to a folder you will create called "SP2" in the root of the
> drive where XP is installed.eg. C:\SP2 (Better would be a Secondary HD
> on a different Controller).
> Run Setup.
>
> Good Luck.
> Post back your results.
>

Al Romanosky
19-07-2005, 08:53 AM
Very good advice to date. Consider downloading from Microsoft "Microsoft
Baseline Security Analyzer".

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TaurArian
19-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Run WU on friend's computer - make a list.

You can download them from the Catalog and save to be installed later.
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp
How to Download Windows Updates and Drivers from the Windows Update Catalog
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323166

Click Add button for each update you want to download. Once you have what you want,
Click the "Go To Download Basket" link. Type in or browse to the location where you
want the updates saved to and then Click the "Download Now" button.
Once downloaded, you can then burn them to CD.

Other links which may be of interest:

Search for a download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en

How to install multiple Windows updates or hotfixes with only one reboot
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296861

Note:
Service Pack 2 is cumulative and includes all prior Critical Updates.

dfrog wrote:
> In order to help a friend with XP Home (sp1), to update to SP2, and
> who has NOT been running Win Update (gulp), and who is on dialup, is
> it possible to find out on his computer which updates he needs (other
> than SP2 itself) and then for me (on Broadband) to download these on
> my PC, burn to CD and then install on his PC ? I think there may be
> quite a few MBs involved here. I have carried out all the other steps neccessary
> prior to installing
> SP2 from CD.
>
> dfrog

dfrog
20-07-2005, 08:43 AM
Thank you TaurArian, that is exactly what I needed.
Thank you again to Jerry - Ted Zieglar - Compsalvage & Al Romanosky, all
your contributions are valuable to me. In return, I will do what I can to
help others.

dfrog


"TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:O6WGOAFjFHA.2772@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Run WU on friend's computer - make a list.
>
> You can download them from the Catalog and save to be installed later.
> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp
> How to Download Windows Updates and Drivers from the Windows Update
> Catalog
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323166
>
> Click Add button for each update you want to download. Once you have what
> you want, Click the "Go To Download Basket" link. Type in or browse to the
> location where you want the updates saved to and then Click the "Download
> Now" button.
> Once downloaded, you can then burn them to CD.
>
> Other links which may be of interest:
>
> Search for a download
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en
>
> How to install multiple Windows updates or hotfixes with only one reboot
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296861
>
> Note:
> Service Pack 2 is cumulative and includes all prior Critical Updates.
>
> dfrog wrote:
>> In order to help a friend with XP Home (sp1), to update to SP2, and
>> who has NOT been running Win Update (gulp), and who is on dialup, is
>> it possible to find out on his computer which updates he needs (other
>> than SP2 itself) and then for me (on Broadband) to download these on
>> my PC, burn to CD and then install on his PC ? I think there may be
>> quite a few MBs involved here. I have carried out all the other steps
>> neccessary prior to installing
>> SP2 from CD.
>>
>> dfrog
>

Hosted by: Eyo Technologies Pty Ltd. Sponsored by: Actiontec Pty Ltd