PDA

View Full Version : Van Nguyen - someone had to start this.....

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

BiggyRat
02-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Well people, we've read all about it, seen all about it and heard all about it. What do you think about it?

Personally, I'm against the execution, but far from opposed to 25 years in jail or longer.

While I understand the reason for the media coverage, I can't help but think it's glamorising :confused: (not sure if that's the exact word I'm looking for) Van Nguyen, and while I feel very very sorry for his family, fact remains he was busted with enough heroin on him for 26,000 hits. Surely he must have understood what would happen if he got caught. If not, he's an even bigger idiot. True, Schapple Corby, Michelle Leslie and the Bali 9 hadn't happened as warnings for him when he was nicked 3 years ago, but Barlow & Chambers were strung up in Thailand for exactly the same thing 9 YEARS BEFORE!

As I say, I feel sorry for the family, but think it's getting way too much press, and who ever the idiot was who wanted to have a minutes silence for him should have a frontal labotomy (if they haven't already). I'm afraid for the same reason that I think the church ringing bells 25 times once for each year of his life, is wrong people! In at least the last 3 years he was a convicted drug smuggler, since when do we go about celebrating the life of a drug smuggler?

So, what say you people?

kthemusicalkat
02-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Agreed there is no doubt that he was guilty of drug smuggling and I'm not saying he shouldn't pay but I don't believe in the death penalty at all. Who are we to judge someone so harshly as to take their life away?

I know plenty of people think the right thing was done here today especially many parents of 'children' that have died due to drug overdose but I think they are in the same boat. I mean nobody made their kids do drugs either. I feel just as sad for them.

I feel for his family and can't imagine how hard it would be to say goodbye to a loved one no matter what they've done wrong for the very last time.

I agree that the media have gone nuts over this one and I don't know what I feel about that but the minutes silence I think is fair enough. There are enough people in Australia that oppose the death penalty in general to warrant that and those that don't like it don't need to participate.

PLG
02-12-2005, 10:40 AM
I say let him hang he did the crime and he should pay for it

I have no sympathy for this person or others who deal in drugs at all

I was listening to Vega this morning and Wendy Harmer had a priest saying a sermon and was appalled

Having a minutes silence is also a complete joke

all about eve
02-12-2005, 10:48 AM
I don't believe in capitial punishment. I also believe that you can't mess with other countries laws. We can't make Singapore or Bali etc "get with the program" and we will all be punished according to their laws, not ours. I think that is where people (Van Nguyen, Schapelle Corby, Michele Leslie, The Bali 9 etc) are making huge mistakes... other than from being drug traffickers in the first place (if they in fact were).

Like Kat, I also feel for his family. It's a terrible time for them.

BiggyRat
02-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Agreed there is no doubt that he was guilty of drug smuggling and I'm not saying he shouldn't pay but I don't believe in the death penalty at all. Who are we to judge someone so harshly as to take their life away?

I know plenty of people think the right thing was done here today especially many parents of 'children' that have died due to drug overdose but I think they are in the same boat. I mean nobody made their kids do drugs either. I feel just as sad for them.

I feel for his family and can't imagine how hard it would be to say goodbye to a loved one no matter what they've done wrong for the very last time.

I agree that the media have gone nuts over this one and I don't know what I feel about that but the minutes silence I think is fair enough. There are enough people in Australia that oppose the death penalty in general to warrant that and those that don't like it don't need to participate.What you say's right IMO K, though why we'd want a minutes silence to celebrate the life of a drug smuggler is beyond me. IF however it's a protest against hanging/executions then I think there are more efficient ways to do that, that's all.

PLG
02-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Like Kat, I also feel for his family. It's a terrible time for them.

While its speculation I have heard rumours that his family isnt the "pillar of society" everyone thinks they are

Lizard Drinkin
02-12-2005, 10:52 AM

I agree that the media have gone nuts over this one and I don't know what I feel about that but the minutes silence I think is fair enough. There are enough people in Australia that oppose the death penalty in general to warrant that and those that don't like it don't need to participate.Sums it up for me.

Also - it seems he was very accepting of his crime and the resultant death, unlike the Australian media. I don't think he deserves to be vilified on that count.

Lastly - he also seemed to be a very changed man leading to his death. I frankly don't see the point on killing a rehabilitated criminal :confused: , but then I don't support the death penalty in any case. It's arrogant to play God.

BiggyRat
02-12-2005, 10:53 AM
While its speculation I have heard rumours that his family isnt the "pillar of society" everyone thinks they areI don't think anyone ever said they were :confused: One son is a herion addict and gambler, the other a convicted drug smuggler. Hardly sounds like pillar of the community stuff to me PLG

Lizard Drinkin
02-12-2005, 10:54 AM
While its speculation I have heard rumours that his family isnt the "pillar of society" everyone thinks they areHardly a justification for execution, or to withhold compassion.

all about eve
02-12-2005, 11:00 AM
While its speculation I have heard rumours that his family isnt the "pillar of society" everyone thinks they are

I really haven't heard anything about them. And whether or not they are good or bad people, I still feel sorry for them (or anyone) to have to go through this. Losing a son, in general. Let alone by capital punishment. Let alone, its done overseas and combined with all the media attention. It's just too much.

PLG
02-12-2005, 11:05 AM
Next time someone rapes or kills a woman, child or old person and is sent to jail
Lets give them a minutes silence as well as its only fair :rolling:

Lizard Drinkin
02-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Next time someone rapes or kills a woman, child or old person and is sent to jail
Lets give them a minutes silence as well as its only fair :rolling:That's just plain ridiculous PLG and I think you realise that. Cut it out.

EMCWheels
02-12-2005, 11:16 AM
As has been stated, He is a CONVICTED drug smuggler, caught with enough heroin for around 26,000 hits, in another country. He has been in jail for 3 years. Why all the fuss now?

A minutes silence is RESERVED for those who have GIVEN THEIR LIVES for our country, and our way of life. If your ideal way of life involves a heroin addiction, and / or drug smuggling, then by all means......

I do not condone or believe in the death penalty, but I am lucky enough to live in Australia, and I would like to think smart enough not to take such risks in other countries like Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand,......

When the glorification of a CONVICTED drug smuggler is what makes for headline news, whilst we still have soldiers in Afghanistan, Iraq, and many other places, putting themselves in harms way because someone else decided it was a good idea, it makes me angry.

Lizard Drinkin
02-12-2005, 11:22 AM
When the glorification of a CONVICTED drug smuggler is what makes for headline news, whilst we still have soldiers in Afghanistan, Iraq, and many other places, putting themselves in harms way because someone else decided it was a good idea, it makes me angry.Well that makes more sense.

I think that's fine, but of course you don't have to observe a minute's silence. Many people don't observe Remembrance Day because they think it glorifies the deaths of our soldiers as a noble and worthwhile sacrifice instead of a tragic waste of life (I'm not one of them, Remembrance Day chokes me up and it's about remembering all people affected by War).

For many people the minute's silence is as much a peaceful protest against an extreme punishment as it is about the person involved. For others it's a question of spiritual wellbeing/observance. I have nothing against peaceful protest, the more the merrier, and I don't think it detracts from the contribution of our armed forces in any way.

I don't recall a minute's silence ever being reserved for military sacrifice. In church it's long been a part of remembering loved ones who have passed on, and I suspect this was a tradition that worked its way into the rituals of Christian armies.

EMCWheels
02-12-2005, 11:41 AM
I don't recall a minute's silence ever being reserved for military sacrifice. In church it's long been a part of remembering loved ones who have passed on, and I suspect this was a tradition that worked its way into the rituals of Christian armies.
Sorry, I was referring to the calls for a nation-wide minute's silence, such as only happen on Rememberance Day, and for such tragic events as 9/11, and the Bali bombings.

Ozeagle
02-12-2005, 11:42 AM
Of all the people who are going to die as a result of the drugs trade this year, this one is pretty far down the list of who deserves my sympathy. It's a ridiculous media beatup and I'll be very happy to stop hearing about it. :rolling:

Mot Adv-NSW
02-12-2005, 12:04 PM
It's over, he's gone now.

princessnay
02-12-2005, 12:42 PM
the way i see it is the same as was in another thread a little while back. if you want to go to another country and bvreak their laws then you should get punnished by their laws!!! i dont believe that we should have to do a minute silence for something like this!!! sure it was tragic but he was one of many! if we do a minute silence for everyone that is caught trafficing drugs that will be executed then we would spend our lives in silence (not quite but close enough)! he is an adult and as adults we all have to deal with the consequences of our actions! and he has now delt with his! as unfair as it seams!

Lord Smelly
02-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Of all the people who are going to die as a result of the drugs trade this year, this one is pretty far down the list of who deserves my sympathy. It's a ridiculous media beatup and I'll be very happy to stop hearing about it. :rolling:

Exactly Oz well put, I myself can't wait for this to be out of the media.

headrippa
02-12-2005, 01:08 PM
I'm glad they hanged him, its just one less scumbag earth has to deal with. I cant wait until Australia brings back the death penalty too.

Stuff giving him 1 minutes silence too, that stuff is reserved for quality people, not asshats like him.

Hosted by: Eyo Technologies Pty Ltd. Sponsored by: Actiontec Pty Ltd