PDA

View Full Version : GoDaddy - another reason it is a peice of shit!



Ext User(Whatcher?)
25-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Check this out from Fyodor (Nmap). It is cut shorter than the original email
but the important bit is there:

Hi everyone,
Many of you reported that our SecLists.Org security mailing list archive was
down most of yesterday (Wed), and all you really need to know is that we're
back up and running! But I'm going into rant mode anyway in case you care
for the details.
I woke up yesterday morning to find a voice message from my domain registrar
(GoDaddy) saying they were suspending the domain SecLists.org. One minute
later I received an email saying that SecLists.org has "been suspended for
violation of the GoDaddy.com Abuse Policy". And also "if the domain name(s)
listed above are private, your Domains By Proxy(R) account has also been
suspended." WTF??! Neither the email nor voicemail gave a phone number to
reach them at, nor did they feel it was worth the effort to explain what the
supposed violation was. They changed my domain nameserver to
"NS1.SUSPENDED-FOR.SPAM-AND-ABUSE.COM". Cute, eh?
I called GoDaddy several times, and all three support people I spoke with
(Craig, Ricky, then Wael) said that the abuse department doesn't take calls.
They said I had email abuse@godaddy.com (which I had already done 3 times)
and that I could then expect a response "within 1 or two business days".
Given that tens of thousands of people use SecLists.Org every day, I didn't
take that well. When they realized I was going to just keep calling until
they did something, they finally persuaded the abuse department to explain
why they cut me off: Myspace.Com asked them to.
Apparently Myspace is still reeling from all the news reports more than a
week ago about a list of 56,000 myspace usernames+passwords making the
rounds. It was all over the news, and reminded people of a completely
different list of 34,000 MySpace passwords which was floating around last
year. MySpace users fall for a LOT of phishing scams. They are basically the
new AOL. Anyway, everyone has this latest password list now, and it was even
posted (several times) to the thousands of members of the fulldisclosure
mailing list more than a week ago. So it was archived by all the sites which
archive full-disclosure, including SecLists.Org.
Instead of simply writing me (or abuse@seclists.org) asking to have the
password list removed, MySpace decided to contact (only) GoDaddy and try to
have the whole site of 250,000 pages removed because they don't like one of
them. And GoDaddy cowardly and lazily decided to simply shut down the site
rather than actually investigating or giving me a chance to contest or
comply with the complaint. Needless to say, I'm in the market for a new
registrar. One who doesn't immediately bend over for any large corporation
who asks. One who considers it their job just to refer people to the
SecLists.Org nameserver at 205.217.153.50, not to police the content of the
services hosted at the domains. The GoDaddy ToS forbids hosting what they
call "morally objectionable activities".
It is way too late for MySpace to put the cat back in the bag anyway. The
bad guys already have the file, and anyone else who wants it need only
Google for "myspace1.txt.bz2" or "duckqueen1". Is MySpace going to try and
shut down Google next?
For some reason, this is only one of a spate of bogus Seclists removal
requests. I do remove material that is clearly illegal or inappropriate for
SecLists.org (like the bonehead who keeps posting furry porn to
fulldisclosure). But one company sent a legal threat demanding[1] that I
remove a 7-year old Bugtraq posting which was a complaint about previous
bogus legal threats they had sent. Another guy[2] last week sent a complaint
to my ISP saying that an image was child porn and declaring that he would
notify the FBI. When asked why he thought the picture was of a child, he
tried a different tack: sending a DMCA complaint declaring under penalty of
perjury that he is the copyright holder of the photo! Michael Crook told me
on the phone that he sent the DMCA request, but when I forwarded the info to
the EFF (who is already suing this guy for sending other bogus DMCA
complaints), he changed his mind and wrote that "after further review, I can
find no record" or mailing the complaint.

Ext User(Highlandish)
26-01-2007, 01:53 AM
Quoth The Raven; Whatcher? <t.4.2@2.4.t> in
<45b89655$0$1034$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
> Check this out from Fyodor (Nmap). It is cut shorter than the
> original email but the important bit is there:

still, i am in no favour or disfavour of godaddy, but one disgruntled
user doesnt make me hate godaddy. he had a site that archived unveryfied
material. he is bound to come under fire constantly regardless of his
host
--
Reply no longer functions. attention me in this group instead

"In opera, there is always too much singing." - Claude Debussy

Ext User(Whatcher?)
26-01-2007, 09:53 AM
"Highlandish" <say no to spam> wrote in message
news:45b8bf0a$0$3204$c30e37c6@ken-reader.news.telstra.net...
> Quoth The Raven; Whatcher? <t.4.2@2.4.t> in
> <45b89655$0$1034$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
>> Check this out from Fyodor (Nmap). It is cut shorter than the
>> original email but the important bit is there:
>
> still, i am in no favour or disfavour of godaddy, but one disgruntled user
> doesnt make me hate godaddy. he had a site that archived unveryfied
> material. he is bound to come under fire constantly regardless of his host


No mate, not ONE disgruntled user but one MORE disgruntled user and this
time someone of international significance, not just me or any other nobody
in this newsgroup.

What does it take to prove to you that GoDaddy are shit?

Ext User(pt)
28-01-2007, 02:34 AM
On Jan 25, 7:30 am, "Highlandish" <say no to spam> wrote:
> Quoth The Raven; Whatcher? <t...@2.4.t> in
> <45b89655$0$1034$61c65...@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
>
[snip]
> he had a site that archived unveryfied material.

Um. Ever hear of "google"? And "unverified material"?? Sheesh.
That's the definition of blogging. And myspace. And the rest of News
Corp for that matter. Murdoch/News can create the news, report on it,
review it, offer critical analysis of the created news product
("absolutely true") and the reviews of it ("an insightful report"),
and then show the reaction of the public ("professional actor on
closed course"). All served up as a tasty morsel for the gullible
consumer. That's the power of owning or controlling such a large
swath of the media. But if enough people believe in it, that makes it
true. Works for scientology.

> he is bound to come under fire constantly regardless of his host
> --
> Reply no longer functions. attention me in this group instead
>
> "In opera, there is always too much singing." - Claude Debussy

Ext User(lynx)
28-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Highlandish wrote:

> Quoth The Raven; lynx <none@nothere.com> in
> <45b9556f$0$16556$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>
>
>> Highlandish wrote:
>>
>>> Quoth The Raven; Whatcher? <t.4.2@2.4.t> in
>>> <45b93373$0$1031$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
>>>
>>>> "Highlandish" <say no to spam> wrote in message
>>>> news:45b8bf0a$0$3204$c30e37c6@ken-reader.news.telstra.net...
>>>>
>>>>> Quoth The Raven; Whatcher? <t.4.2@2.4.t> in
>>>>> <45b89655$0$1034$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
>>>>>
>>>>>> Check this out from Fyodor (Nmap). It is cut shorter than the
>>>>>> original email but the important bit is there:
>>>>>>
>>>>> still, i am in no favour or disfavour of godaddy, but one
>>>>> disgruntled user doesnt make me hate godaddy. he had a site that
>>>>> archived unveryfied material. he is bound to come under fire
>>>>> constantly regardless of his host
>>>>>
>>>> No mate, not ONE disgruntled user but one MORE disgruntled user and
>>>> this time someone of international significance, not just me or any
>>>> other nobody in this newsgroup.
>>>>
>>>> What does it take to prove to you that GoDaddy are shit?
>>>>
>>> statistics and facts. for all i know that story could have been
>>> complete fiction.
>>>
>> What abut the facts that I gave you recently? Upload speed of just
>> 3kbs sec on dial up, and 15 kb sec on broadband. That's from my own
>> personal experience, not hearsay. I'll leave you to do the maths,
>> maths was never my strong subject, but I know that it takes me more
>> than 24 hours to upload around 1 gig of data.
>>
>
> but was that your problem with the lines, or any millions of hops
> between your computer and godaddy?
>
>

Well that could be. But I have no way of knowing if I'm unique or
typical do I. With my previous host I got around 150kbs upload speeds,
and nothing has changed here. I wouldn't trust GD for anything;
especially since I now know about their email problem. Pity I got sucked
into signing on for two years. Waste of money.


--

rgds,

Pete
=====
http://pw352.blogspot.com/
'When things just can't get any worse, they will!'

Ext User(Whatcher?)
28-01-2007, 03:13 PM
"Highlandish" <say no to spam> wrote in message
news:45b93897$0$3191$c30e37c6@ken-reader.news.telstra.net...
> Quoth The Raven; Whatcher? <t.4.2@2.4.t> in
> <45b93373$0$1031$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
>> "Highlandish" <say no to spam> wrote in message
>> news:45b8bf0a$0$3204$c30e37c6@ken-reader.news.telstra.net...
>>> Quoth The Raven; Whatcher? <t.4.2@2.4.t> in
>>> <45b89655$0$1034$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
>>>> Check this out from Fyodor (Nmap). It is cut shorter than the
>>>> original email but the important bit is there:
>>>
>>> still, i am in no favour or disfavour of godaddy, but one
>>> disgruntled user doesnt make me hate godaddy. he had a site that
>>> archived unveryfied material. he is bound to come under fire
>>> constantly regardless of his host
>>
>>
>> No mate, not ONE disgruntled user but one MORE disgruntled user and
>> this time someone of international significance, not just me or any
>> other nobody in this newsgroup.
>>
>> What does it take to prove to you that GoDaddy are shit?
>
> statistics and facts. for all i know that story could have been complete
> fiction.
>

You honestly don't know him? My bet is you have seen his program in action
like almost every single person on this planet whether they use a computer
or not.

Ext User(Highlandish)
28-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Quoth The Raven; lynx <none@nothere.com> in
<12rnsm460gd7182@news.supernews.com>
> Highlandish wrote:
>
>> Quoth The Raven; lynx <none@nothere.com> in
>> <45b9556f$0$16556$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>
>>
>>> Highlandish wrote:
>>>
>>>> Quoth The Raven; Whatcher? <t.4.2@2.4.t> in
>>>> <45b93373$0$1031$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
>>>>
>>>>> "Highlandish" <say no to spam> wrote in message
>>>>> news:45b8bf0a$0$3204$c30e37c6@ken-reader.news.telstra.net...
>>>>>
>>>>>> Quoth The Raven; Whatcher? <t.4.2@2.4.t> in
>>>>>> <45b89655$0$1034$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Check this out from Fyodor (Nmap). It is cut shorter than the
>>>>>>> original email but the important bit is there:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>> still, i am in no favour or disfavour of godaddy, but one
>>>>>> disgruntled user doesnt make me hate godaddy. he had a site that
>>>>>> archived unveryfied material. he is bound to come under fire
>>>>>> constantly regardless of his host
>>>>>>
>>>>> No mate, not ONE disgruntled user but one MORE disgruntled user
>>>>> and this time someone of international significance, not just me
>>>>> or any other nobody in this newsgroup.
>>>>>
>>>>> What does it take to prove to you that GoDaddy are shit?
>>>>>
>>>> statistics and facts. for all i know that story could have been
>>>> complete fiction.
>>>>
>>> What abut the facts that I gave you recently? Upload speed of just
>>> 3kbs sec on dial up, and 15 kb sec on broadband. That's from my own
>>> personal experience, not hearsay. I'll leave you to do the maths,
>>> maths was never my strong subject, but I know that it takes me more
>>> than 24 hours to upload around 1 gig of data.
>>>
>>
>> but was that your problem with the lines, or any millions of hops
>> between your computer and godaddy?
>>
>>
>
> Well that could be. But I have no way of knowing if I'm unique or
> typical do I. With my previous host I got around 150kbs upload speeds,
> and nothing has changed here. I wouldn't trust GD for anything;
> especially since I now know about their email problem. Pity I got
> sucked into signing on for two years. Waste of money.

tracert www.godaddy.com
will see where teh problem lies

--
Reply no longer functions. attention me in this group instead

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power. - (Abraham Lincoln)

Ext User(Highlandish)
28-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Quoth The Raven; Whatcher? <t.4.2@2.4.t> in
<45bc2063$0$1034$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
> "Highlandish" <say no to spam> wrote in message
> news:45b93897$0$3191$c30e37c6@ken-reader.news.telstra.net...
>> Quoth The Raven; Whatcher? <t.4.2@2.4.t> in
>> <45b93373$0$1031$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
>>> "Highlandish" <say no to spam> wrote in message
>>> news:45b8bf0a$0$3204$c30e37c6@ken-reader.news.telstra.net...
>>>> Quoth The Raven; Whatcher? <t.4.2@2.4.t> in
>>>> <45b89655$0$1034$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
>>>>> Check this out from Fyodor (Nmap). It is cut shorter than the
>>>>> original email but the important bit is there:
>>>>
>>>> still, i am in no favour or disfavour of godaddy, but one
>>>> disgruntled user doesnt make me hate godaddy. he had a site that
>>>> archived unveryfied material. he is bound to come under fire
>>>> constantly regardless of his host
>>>
>>>
>>> No mate, not ONE disgruntled user but one MORE disgruntled user and
>>> this time someone of international significance, not just me or any
>>> other nobody in this newsgroup.
>>>
>>> What does it take to prove to you that GoDaddy are shit?
>>
>> statistics and facts. for all i know that story could have been
>> complete fiction.
>>
>
> You honestly don't know him? My bet is you have seen his program in
> action like almost every single person on this planet whether they
> use a computer or not.

lol, i didnt read the name when i first read the story. ok yes i use his
program, and yes i have seen stories about him. he was an advisor to
President Clinton at one stage. so yes he is a god and i will take his
word for it. now i have been won over. godaddy are shit.

--
Reply no longer functions. attention me in this group instead

To spot the true expert, pick the one who predicts the job will take
the longest and cost the most.

Ext User(Whatcher?)
28-01-2007, 10:43 PM
"Highlandish" <say no to spam> wrote in message
news:45bc33fd$0$3195$c30e37c6@ken-reader.news.telstra.net...
> Quoth The Raven; Whatcher? <t.4.2@2.4.t> in
> <45bc2063$0$1034$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
>> "Highlandish" <say no to spam> wrote in message
>> news:45b93897$0$3191$c30e37c6@ken-reader.news.telstra.net...
>>> Quoth The Raven; Whatcher? <t.4.2@2.4.t> in
>>> <45b93373$0$1031$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
>>>> "Highlandish" <say no to spam> wrote in message
>>>> news:45b8bf0a$0$3204$c30e37c6@ken-reader.news.telstra.net...
>>>>> Quoth The Raven; Whatcher? <t.4.2@2.4.t> in
>>>>> <45b89655$0$1034$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
>>>>>> Check this out from Fyodor (Nmap). It is cut shorter than the
>>>>>> original email but the important bit is there:
>>>>>
>>>>> still, i am in no favour or disfavour of godaddy, but one
>>>>> disgruntled user doesnt make me hate godaddy. he had a site that
>>>>> archived unveryfied material. he is bound to come under fire
>>>>> constantly regardless of his host
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> No mate, not ONE disgruntled user but one MORE disgruntled user and
>>>> this time someone of international significance, not just me or any
>>>> other nobody in this newsgroup.
>>>>
>>>> What does it take to prove to you that GoDaddy are shit?
>>>
>>> statistics and facts. for all i know that story could have been
>>> complete fiction.
>>>
>>
>> You honestly don't know him? My bet is you have seen his program in
>> action like almost every single person on this planet whether they
>> use a computer or not.
>
> lol, i didnt read the name when i first read the story. ok yes i use his
> program, and yes i have seen stories about him. he was an advisor to
> President Clinton at one stage. so yes he is a god and i will take his
> word for it. now i have been won over. godaddy are shit.
>

Damn. I was hoping that you would ask where you would have seen the program
in action if you had never used it before! :)

Ext User(Highlandish)
28-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Quoth The Raven; Whatcher? <t.4.2@2.4.t> in
<45bc8be3$0$1033$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
> "Highlandish" <say no to spam> wrote in message
> news:45bc33fd$0$3195$c30e37c6@ken-reader.news.telstra.net...
>> Quoth The Raven; Whatcher? <t.4.2@2.4.t> in
>> <45bc2063$0$1034$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
>>> "Highlandish" <say no to spam> wrote in message
>>> news:45b93897$0$3191$c30e37c6@ken-reader.news.telstra.net...
>>>> Quoth The Raven; Whatcher? <t.4.2@2.4.t> in
>>>> <45b93373$0$1031$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
>>>>> "Highlandish" <say no to spam> wrote in message
>>>>> news:45b8bf0a$0$3204$c30e37c6@ken-reader.news.telstra.net...
>>>>>> Quoth The Raven; Whatcher? <t.4.2@2.4.t> in
>>>>>> <45b89655$0$1034$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
>>>>>>> Check this out from Fyodor (Nmap). It is cut shorter than the
>>>>>>> original email but the important bit is there:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> still, i am in no favour or disfavour of godaddy, but one
>>>>>> disgruntled user doesnt make me hate godaddy. he had a site that
>>>>>> archived unveryfied material. he is bound to come under fire
>>>>>> constantly regardless of his host
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> No mate, not ONE disgruntled user but one MORE disgruntled user
>>>>> and this time someone of international significance, not just me
>>>>> or any other nobody in this newsgroup.
>>>>>
>>>>> What does it take to prove to you that GoDaddy are shit?
>>>>
>>>> statistics and facts. for all i know that story could have been
>>>> complete fiction.
>>>>
>>>
>>> You honestly don't know him? My bet is you have seen his program in
>>> action like almost every single person on this planet whether they
>>> use a computer or not.
>>
>> lol, i didnt read the name when i first read the story. ok yes i use
>> his program, and yes i have seen stories about him. he was an
>> advisor to President Clinton at one stage. so yes he is a god and i
>> will take his word for it. now i have been won over. godaddy are
>> shit.
>
> Damn. I was hoping that you would ask where you would have seen the
> program in action if you had never used it before! :)

i use the win gui for nmap, called umit

--
Reply no longer functions. attention me in this group instead

Cashtration (n.): The act of buying a house, which renders the subject
financially impotent for an indefinite period.

Ext User(Tsunami Australia)
04-02-2007, 12:03 PM
lynx wrote:
> Highlandish wrote:
>
>> Quoth The Raven; lynx <none@nothere.com> in
>> <45b9556f$0$16556$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>
>>
>>> Highlandish wrote:
>>>
>>>> Quoth The Raven; Whatcher? <t.4.2@2.4.t> in
>>>> <45b93373$0$1031$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> "Highlandish" <say no to spam> wrote in message
>>>>> news:45b8bf0a$0$3204$c30e37c6@ken-reader.news.telstra.net...
>>>>>
>>>>>> Quoth The Raven; Whatcher? <t.4.2@2.4.t> in
>>>>>> <45b89655$0$1034$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Check this out from Fyodor (Nmap). It is cut shorter than the
>>>>>>> original email but the important bit is there:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>> still, i am in no favour or disfavour of godaddy, but one
>>>>>> disgruntled user doesnt make me hate godaddy. he had a site that
>>>>>> archived unveryfied material. he is bound to come under fire
>>>>>> constantly regardless of his host
>>>>>>
>>>>> No mate, not ONE disgruntled user but one MORE disgruntled user and
>>>>> this time someone of international significance, not just me or any
>>>>> other nobody in this newsgroup.
>>>>>
>>>>> What does it take to prove to you that GoDaddy are shit?
>>>>>
>>>> statistics and facts. for all i know that story could have been
>>>> complete fiction.
>>>>
>>> What abut the facts that I gave you recently? Upload speed of just
>>> 3kbs sec on dial up, and 15 kb sec on broadband. That's from my own
>>> personal experience, not hearsay. I'll leave you to do the maths,
>>> maths was never my strong subject, but I know that it takes me more
>>> than 24 hours to upload around 1 gig of data.
>>>
>>
>> but was that your problem with the lines, or any millions of hops
>> between your computer and godaddy?
>>
>>
>
> Well that could be. But I have no way of knowing if I'm unique or
> typical do I. With my previous host I got around 150kbs upload speeds,
> and nothing has changed here. I wouldn't trust GD for anything;
> especially since I now know about their email problem. Pity I got sucked
> into signing on for two years. Waste of money.
>
>

I've been using Godaddy for a little whilst now and found it to be
rather good. The only thing I'm dissapointed with is the inability to
have control over the spamasassin settings for my own domain name. The
price, service, speed, availability and services have all been better
than my previous host who used Burst data facility in Philadelphia.

Hosted by: Eyo Technologies Pty Ltd. Sponsored by: Actiontec Pty Ltd