PDA

View Full Version : what is the difference between xp32 and xp64?



Ext User(Rhubarb)
02-06-2007, 05:23 PM
how can you tell which you have?

Ext User(John John)
02-06-2007, 10:33 PM
The main difference is in the amount of RAM that the operating systems
can handle. Windows XP 32-bit supports up to 4 GB of RAM, XP 64-bit
supports up to 128GB.

Overview of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/overview.mspx

Processor register
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processor_register

Understanding 64-bit PowerPC architecture
http://webopedia.internet.com/TERM/R/register.html%2522

Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition Frequently Asked Questions
http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/cache/286707-0-0-225-121.html

If you have to ask wether or not you have XP 64-bit you probably don't
have it. To verify click Start | Run and enter winver in the run box
and click on ok. If you see 64-Bit Edition then you have the 64-Bit
version.

John


Rhubarb wrote:
> how can you tell which you have?

Ext User(John John)
02-06-2007, 10:53 PM
John John wrote:

> The main difference is in the amount of RAM that the operating systems
> can handle. Windows XP 32-bit supports up to 4 GB of RAM, XP 64-bit
> supports up to 128GB.
>
> Overview of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/overview.mspx
>
> Processor register
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processor_register
>
> Understanding 64-bit PowerPC architecture
> http://webopedia.internet.com/TERM/R/register.html%2522
>
> Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition Frequently Asked Questions
> http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/cache/286707-0-0-225-121.html
>
> If you have to ask wether or not you have XP 64-bit you probably don't
> have it. To verify click Start | Run and enter winver in the run box
> and click on ok. If you see 64-Bit Edition then you have the 64-Bit
> version.

PS: Forgot this link:

Understanding 64-bit PowerPC architecture
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/pa-microdesign/?ca=dgr-lnxw07UnderstandPower

John


> Rhubarb wrote:
>
>> how can you tell which you have?

Ext User(Ken Blake, MVP)
03-06-2007, 03:43 AM
On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 23:11:01 -0700, Rhubarb
<Rhubarb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>how can you tell which you have?


64-bit Windows requires a 64-bit CPU. 32-bit Windows can run on either
a 32-bit or 64-bit CPU. Most people have 32-bit CPUs, but 64-bit CPUs
are becoming more common. However, even with a 64-bit CPU, many people
run 32-bit Windows, for the reasons cited below.

64 bit Windows can, in theory, access twice as much data in a single
"bite" as can 32-bit Windows. At least for the present, however, that
difference is largely theoretical, and the performance improvements
are usually *much* smaller that it would seem.

32-bit Windows can't use more than 4GB of RAM (which in practice means
a little more than 3GB). 64-bit Windows can access 128GB of RAM. This
is a largely insignificant difference for the present, since very few
people can make effective use of more than 3GB of RAM, and since there
are very few, if any, motherboards that can hold that much.

64-bit Windows is still relatively new and many people using it have
trouble getting drivers for all their hardware.

So it's very likely that you have the 32-bit edition. Almost anybody
who has to ask the question is running the 32-bit version.

But if you want to check to be sure, enter WINVER at the Start | Run
line.

--
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Ext User(Ramesh, MS-MVP)
03-06-2007, 04:16 AM
That's very well put, and thank you very much for the info, Ken.

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
Windows Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com


"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.am.invalid.domain> wrote in message news:ps5363d94nubk9ddcpd08or04530gsgch9@4ax.com...
On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 23:11:01 -0700, Rhubarb
<Rhubarb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>how can you tell which you have?


64-bit Windows requires a 64-bit CPU. 32-bit Windows can run on either
a 32-bit or 64-bit CPU. Most people have 32-bit CPUs, but 64-bit CPUs
are becoming more common. However, even with a 64-bit CPU, many people
run 32-bit Windows, for the reasons cited below.

64 bit Windows can, in theory, access twice as much data in a single
"bite" as can 32-bit Windows. At least for the present, however, that
difference is largely theoretical, and the performance improvements
are usually *much* smaller that it would seem.

32-bit Windows can't use more than 4GB of RAM (which in practice means
a little more than 3GB). 64-bit Windows can access 128GB of RAM. This
is a largely insignificant difference for the present, since very few
people can make effective use of more than 3GB of RAM, and since there
are very few, if any, motherboards that can hold that much.

64-bit Windows is still relatively new and many people using it have
trouble getting drivers for all their hardware.

So it's very likely that you have the 32-bit edition. Almost anybody
who has to ask the question is running the 32-bit version.

But if you want to check to be sure, enter WINVER at the Start | Run
line.

--
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Ext User(Ken Blake, MVP)
03-06-2007, 05:03 AM
On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 22:31:32 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:

>That's very well put, and thank you very much for the info, Ken.



You're welcome, and thank *you*, Ramesh, for the very kind words.




>"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.am.invalid.domain> wrote in message news:ps5363d94nubk9ddcpd08or04530gsgch9@4ax.com...
>On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 23:11:01 -0700, Rhubarb
><Rhubarb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>how can you tell which you have?
>
>
>64-bit Windows requires a 64-bit CPU. 32-bit Windows can run on either
>a 32-bit or 64-bit CPU. Most people have 32-bit CPUs, but 64-bit CPUs
>are becoming more common. However, even with a 64-bit CPU, many people
>run 32-bit Windows, for the reasons cited below.
>
>64 bit Windows can, in theory, access twice as much data in a single
>"bite" as can 32-bit Windows. At least for the present, however, that
>difference is largely theoretical, and the performance improvements
>are usually *much* smaller that it would seem.
>
>32-bit Windows can't use more than 4GB of RAM (which in practice means
>a little more than 3GB). 64-bit Windows can access 128GB of RAM. This
>is a largely insignificant difference for the present, since very few
>people can make effective use of more than 3GB of RAM, and since there
>are very few, if any, motherboards that can hold that much.
>
>64-bit Windows is still relatively new and many people using it have
>trouble getting drivers for all their hardware.
>
>So it's very likely that you have the 32-bit edition. Almost anybody
>who has to ask the question is running the 32-bit version.
>
>But if you want to check to be sure, enter WINVER at the Start | Run
>line.

--
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Ext User(Rhubarb)
03-06-2007, 05:26 AM
I wish to extend my thanks to both of you. The volunteer time you MVP's give
every day is both helpful and patient.
If you think what you are doing doesn't matter,
It does.
If you think you are not appreciated,
You are wrong.
That also would be an infrequent occurrence, I believe.
Thanks again.

Ext User(Ken Blake, MVP)
03-06-2007, 06:19 AM
On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 11:07:00 -0700, Rhubarb
<Rhubarb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I wish to extend my thanks to both of you. The volunteer time you MVP's give
>every day is both helpful and patient.
>If you think what you are doing doesn't matter,
>It does.
>If you think you are not appreciated,
>You are wrong.
>That also would be an infrequent occurrence, I believe.
>Thanks again.


You're welcome. Glad to help, and thank you for the kind words too.

--
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Ext User(Ramesh, MS-MVP)
03-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Thank you, Rhubarb. What an encouragement!

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com


"Rhubarb" <Rhubarb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54C80BC1-EC21-434C-A969-4DC6D6460C18@microsoft.com...
I wish to extend my thanks to both of you. The volunteer time you MVP's give
every day is both helpful and patient.
If you think what you are doing doesn't matter,
It does.
If you think you are not appreciated,
You are wrong.
That also would be an infrequent occurrence, I believe.
Thanks again.

Hosted by: Eyo Technologies Pty Ltd. Sponsored by: Actiontec Pty Ltd