PDA

View Full Version : Re: Removing old shortcutkeys and reusing



Ext User(glee)
03-06-2007, 04:49 AM
Are the shortcuts that the key combos are bound to, still in existence in your Start
Menu or on the Desktop?

See if this free utility will help you sort it out:
http://www.zealsoftstudio.com/shortcuts/
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm


"Xylent" <Xylent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2CD61A91-0531-4DAD-98E8-B97935FD029A@microsoft.com...
> Is there anyway to remove old shortcut keys used on Startmenu and Desktop
> shortcuts and reassign them to new programs? -without involving a reformat.
>
> I would have supposed MS could make this easier, why do they lock custom
> shortcut keys to the first program they bind to. Is there a way to rebind the
> custom Ctrl+Shift+Alt+___ shortcut?
>
> Thank you.

Ext User(Xylent)
03-06-2007, 05:23 AM
No unfortunately they were deleted as the programs were removed. I'll try the
software you listed.

Thanks

"glee" wrote:

> Are the shortcuts that the key combos are bound to, still in existence in your Start
> Menu or on the Desktop?
>
> See if this free utility will help you sort it out:
> http://www.zealsoftstudio.com/shortcuts/
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
>
> "Xylent" <Xylent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:2CD61A91-0531-4DAD-98E8-B97935FD029A@microsoft.com...
> > Is there anyway to remove old shortcut keys used on Startmenu and Desktop
> > shortcuts and reassign them to new programs? -without involving a reformat.
> >
> > I would have supposed MS could make this easier, why do they lock custom
> > shortcut keys to the first program they bind to. Is there a way to rebind the
> > custom Ctrl+Shift+Alt+___ shortcut?
> >
> > Thank you.
>
>

Ext User(Ayush)
03-06-2007, 09:14 AM
[Xylent]s message :
> No unfortunately they were deleted as the programs were removed. I'll try the
> software you listed.
>


Create a VBScript file (a file with .vbs extension):

Set ws=CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set fs=CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
tp=ws.SpecialFolders("StartMenu")+"\"+fs.GetTempName+".lnk"
Set sc=ws.CreateShortcut(tp)
sc.Hotkey="Ctrl+Alt+Shift+V" ' <---- change this to the shortcut
sc.Save
Set sc=ws.CreateShortcut(tP)
sc.Hotkey="":sc.Save
fs.DeleteFile(tp)


Then run it by double clicking in explorer.



Good Luck, Ayush.
--
XP-Tips [Change the default folder opened in Explorer] :
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/hwandprograms/openingfolder.mspx

Ext User(Xylent)
03-06-2007, 09:33 AM
hey thanks. That helps a lot, its probably better than having to install
another app.

"Ayush" <"ayushmaan.j[aatt]gmail.com" wrote:

> [Xylent]s message :
> > No unfortunately they were deleted as the programs were removed. I'll try the
> > software you listed.
> >
>
>
> Create a VBScript file (a file with .vbs extension):
>
> Set ws=CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
> Set fs=CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
> tp=ws.SpecialFolders("StartMenu")+"\"+fs.GetTempName+".lnk"
> Set sc=ws.CreateShortcut(tp)
> sc.Hotkey="Ctrl+Alt+Shift+V" ' <---- change this to the shortcut
> sc.Save
> Set sc=ws.CreateShortcut(tP)
> sc.Hotkey="":sc.Save
> fs.DeleteFile(tp)
>
>
> Then run it by double clicking in explorer.
>
>
>
> Good Luck, Ayush.
> --
> XP-Tips [Change the default folder opened in Explorer] :
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/hwandprograms/openingfolder.mspx
>

Ext User(Ayush)
03-06-2007, 10:03 AM
[Xylent]s message :
> hey thanks. That helps a lot, its probably better than having to install
> another app.
>

You are welcome.


Good Luck, Ayush.
--
XP-Tips [Change the thumbnail picture of a folder] :
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/tips/folderpic.mspx

Hosted by: Eyo Technologies Pty Ltd. Sponsored by: Actiontec Pty Ltd