PDA

View Full Version : OT:Another crackhead bites the dust



Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Ext User(atec77)
14-02-2012, 12:58 AM
On 13/02/2012 7:23 PM, John McKenzie wrote:
> Noddy wrote:
>>
>> On 12/02/2012 11:46 PM, D Walford wrote:
>>
>>> Easily avoidable, who or what is a "Vidgen"?
>>
>> Yeah, that had me stumped as well. Then again, I don't watch much TV,
>> and only listen to "oldies" radio :)
>
> You know what is depressing to me? Most of the stuff that would never
> get radio play when it was new - and that I liked (to some extent) -
> well i've occasionally listened to triple M whilst on the road, and it's
> depressing, on some level, that they are now playing all of it. Not
> because the music is crap, but rather because it means I've moved into a
> new 'demographic' age wise.
>
> ****.
>
>
Oldfart :P

--









X-No-Archive: Yes

Ext User(Je▀us)
14-02-2012, 07:14 AM
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 17:20:36 +0800, "Clocky" <notgonn@happen.com>
wrote:

>Talent doesn't really come into it. It's all about marketing and short term
>profit. Ofcourse this kind of marketing/promotion of rubbish was already
>present in the 60's, think Partridge family and the Monkees.

That's true, but genuine talent was still fostered at the time because
many of the record company CEOs were music lovers first and
businessmen second. Now they're all just bean counters. And there were
50 or more record companies in the U.S alone... now there's about
four.

Ext User(Je▀us)
14-02-2012, 07:14 AM
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 20:55:05 +1100, Noddy <me@home.com> wrote:

>On 13/02/2012 6:21 PM, JONZ wrote:
>
>> Agree with most, but Jimmy Barnes could not sing if his life depended on
>> it!!
>
>That depends on your definition of "singing", but most vocalists have
>their niche.
>
>As a crooner he'd suck, but as a hard rock singer he's up there with the
>best of them.


Never thought much of Barnes myself, I reckon Bon Scott had an
infinitely screaming style myself :)

Ext User(Je▀us)
14-02-2012, 07:35 AM
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 20:49:29 +1100, Noddy <me@home.com> wrote:

>On 13/02/2012 2:34 PM, Feral wrote:
>
>> Susan Boyle had *nothing* going for her ... but talent.
>>
>> One of your the *few*?
>
>Susan Boyle owes her success to the media sensationalism surrounding her
>"discovery" as she does to any genuine talent she may have.

And technically good voices are hardly uncommon, or necessarily
interesting to listen to - it's how they use that voice that really
matters.

Ext User(Diesel Damo)
14-02-2012, 07:53 AM
On Feb 13, 7:56*pm, "Clocky" <notg...@happen.com> wrote:
> Diesel Damo wrote:
> > On Feb 13, 9:25 am, "Clocky" <notg...@happen.com> wrote:
>
> >> Autotune is switched on during performances,
>
> > I was gutted when I found out that existed. Never before has there
> > been an invention that so effectively ruined something it was supposed
> > to help. Talent; no longer required. I think I became an old man at
> > that point.
>
> To be fair, all it does is correct pitch and doesn't turn a bad singer into
> a good one but it does turn a decent singer artificially into a "perfect"
> one.

It turns an average joe into someone who "can carry a tune". A
talented singer has natural control, and that's what auto tune hides/
corrects. At least to the point where the masses can't tell the
difference. And that's the bit that I find utterly deflating; that
anyone can be a singer now, so there's more mass produced garbage than
ever before.

Ext User(Feral)
14-02-2012, 07:53 AM
On 13/02/2012 8:49 PM, Noddy wrote:
> On 13/02/2012 2:34 PM, Feral wrote:
>
>> Susan Boyle had *nothing* going for her ... but talent.
>>
>> One of your the *few*?
>
> Susan Boyle owes her success to the media sensationalism surrounding her
> "discovery" as she does to any genuine talent she may have.

IC. It was a live audience full of *media*, a panel full of *media* and
a TV audience full of *media* that were gob-smacked by her first stage
performance! Interesting.

I saw a fattish, waddling, unkept frump ... that sung like a bird.

I too saw a marketing challenge, until I realized that she could be
dressed as a cheese sandwich and she'd still sound like a bird.


--
Take Care. ~~
Feral Al ( @..@)
(\-- ▄--/)
((.>__oo__<.))
^^^ % ^^^

Ext User(Diesel Damo)
14-02-2012, 08:03 AM
On Feb 13, 8:34*pm, Noddy <m...@home.com> wrote:
> I remember reading about Kylie Minogue's first album release (must have
> been a slow news day) in which she was being interviewed about the
> event, and she claimed to be "excited" because the producer had let her
> use her own voice on two of the tracks.

Even back then??? I mean I knew it was factory produced with almost no
input from the "artist" and all, but, shit.

> ****.....

That about wraps up my reaction too. It's time for my old man nap I
think.

Ext User(Clocky)
14-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Diesel Damo wrote:
> On Feb 13, 8:34 pm, Noddy <m...@home.com> wrote:
>> I remember reading about Kylie Minogue's first album release (must
>> have been a slow news day) in which she was being interviewed about
>> the event, and she claimed to be "excited" because the producer had
>> let her use her own voice on two of the tracks.
>
> Even back then??? I mean I knew it was factory produced with almost no
> input from the "artist" and all, but, shit.
>

A search for "Stock, Aitken and Waterman" will have you reaching for rope.

Ext User(Clocky)
14-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Noddy wrote:
> On 13/02/2012 11:19 AM, veritas wrote:
>
>> If one were to accept all of the 'knockers' here (self professed
>> experts) I will be hearing soon that the stage performances of 'Billy
>> Elliot', 'Vienna Boys Choir', 'Libera', 'Ronan Parke' are a load of
>> shit
>
> They *are* a load of shit :)
>
>> despite you knockers that are swimming against the tide of opinion of
>> literally millions of people around the world.
>
> Hmmm. Public opinion. That's a bit of a double edged sword at times.
> The overwhelming majority of the German populace supported Adolph
> Hitler....
>> Where are your support numbers from the public and experts?
>
> Which ones would you be prepared to accept? The ones giving an
> *opinion*?
>> Well spotted guys - it as only too easy to impress people by
>> knocking. It is good only for the ego of the knockers to try to show
>> people how knowledgeable they are on many subjects! Oddly, it seems
>> to be the same lot of knockers every time.
>
> Jeez, someone's pooped their jim-jams over a few people not liking
> their choice of music :)
>
>> I would have loved to have just 'some' of the talent these kids
>> have. Am I envious - yep! Do I knock down tall poppies because of it
>> - nope - I am not a neanderthal!
>
> Hey, if they float your boat then good on you. But just because they
> do doesn't mean *everyone* has to think that the sun shines out of
> their arseholes.
>
>> 'Meaningless fodder' - Haaa, what does that mean - stop
>> random-reading the thesaurus.
>>
>> OK guys, I am wearing my body armour - commence firing! :)
>
> I'm out of ammo :)

Just fart in his general direction... autotune will do the rest!

Ext User(Noddy)
14-02-2012, 09:34 AM
On 14/02/2012 7:45 AM, Diesel Damo wrote:

> It turns an average joe into someone who "can carry a tune". A
> talented singer has natural control, and that's what auto tune hides/
> corrects. At least to the point where the masses can't tell the
> difference. And that's the bit that I find utterly deflating; that
> anyone can be a singer now, so there's more mass produced garbage than
> ever before.

Agreed.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Ext User(Noddy)
14-02-2012, 09:34 AM
On 14/02/2012 7:54 AM, Diesel Damo wrote:

> Even back then??? I mean I knew it was factory produced with almost no
> input from the "artist" and all, but, shit.

Pretty bizarre really.

> That about wraps up my reaction too. It's time for my old man nap I
> think.

Lol. Make room for me :)

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Ext User(Noddy)
14-02-2012, 09:34 AM
On 14/02/2012 7:31 AM, Je▀us wrote:

> And technically good voices are hardly uncommon, or necessarily
> interesting to listen to - it's how they use that voice that really
> matters.

Indeed.

To be fair to Boyle (and the same could be said of Paul Potts, the
similarly discovered "Opera singer") I think she can sing. I just don't
think she has the vocal ability to match the hype.

That seems to be the major problem these days. The whole media machine
seems so hell bent on celebrating mediocrity that when someone genuinely
talented comes along it goes into hyperdrive and makes them out to be
God like when the reality is that for the most part they'd be lucky to
hold an audience at a pub.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Ext User(Noddy)
14-02-2012, 10:04 AM
On 14/02/2012 7:49 AM, Feral wrote:

> IC. It was a live audience full of *media*, a panel full of *media* and
> a TV audience full of *media* that were gob-smacked by her first stage
> performance! Interesting.

Interesting indeed.

The object of such "talent quests" is to provide entertainment for both
the studio audience and the home viewer, and they do that in a couple of
ways: Either by ridicule or by genuine entertainment value. For the most
part the entertainment is ridicule, as the audience seems to be most
interested in watching people who think they have a great talent make
public arseholes of themselves. The audience is also heavily influenced
by the panel of "judges", and usually react according to how the judges do.

In the case of Susan Boyle, and to the same degree Paul Potts, they
provided both the judges and the audience with an experience that was
the complete opposite of what they were expecting, and the reaction was
over the top because of it.

At the end of the day it's a TV show and it has to rate to survive, and
in order to rate it has to have a gimmick.

> I saw a fattish, waddling, unkept frump ... that sung like a bird.

Susan Boyle can sing, there is no doubt about that. However, the
reaction to her ability was *way* out of any realistic proportion. She
most certainly is *not* Maria Callas, Edith Piaf or Mamma Cass. What she
is is an unexpected pleasant surprise, and the fact that people like her
can surprise us on occasion says a hell of a lot about how low we've set
the bar as far as musical talent is concerned.

> I too saw a marketing challenge, until I realized that she could be
> dressed as a cheese sandwich and she'd still sound like a bird.

What you saw was the media machine pull out all the stops to cash in on
something out of the ordinary. That required her to have an *extensive*
make-over so she looked a hell of a lot less frumpy as she first did on TV.

It's interesting to note that Boyle had been singing since she was a
young girl, and had never progressed to anything much more than weddings
and birthday parties. I don't think that was due to anything other than
the fact that for most of her life she would have been a "difficult"
package to market (for the reasons you described), but the climate is
now at such a point where "oddities" like her can be popular simply
because they are different.

Whatever the reason may be for her success I hope she's enjoying her
time in the sun, as we're unlikely to hear anything of her in 5 years time.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Ext User(Noddy)
14-02-2012, 10:13 AM
On 14/02/2012 7:14 AM, Je▀us wrote:

> Never thought much of Barnes myself, I reckon Bon Scott had an
> infinitely screaming style myself :)

He did indeed.

Interestingly, I loved AC-DC in the Bon Scott days but couldn't care
less for them since Brian Johnson took over. Similarly, I thought Cold
Chisel was one of the best Australian bands ever (and probably should
have "made it" on the world stage) but I've never been much interested
in Barnes as a Solo performer.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Ext User(Je▀us)
14-02-2012, 10:37 AM
On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 10:04:48 +1100, Noddy <me@home.com> wrote:

>On 14/02/2012 7:14 AM, Je▀us wrote:
>
>> Never thought much of Barnes myself, I reckon Bon Scott had an
>> infinitely screaming style myself :)
>
>He did indeed.
>
>Interestingly, I loved AC-DC in the Bon Scott days but couldn't care
>less for them since Brian Johnson took over.

That's exactly my position. To matters worse for me, I didn't mind a
band called Geordie, unfortunately Brian Johnstone was their singer,
so... that was simultaneously the end of that band for me as well. I
liked ACDC when they were a true rock band, not what they became post
1980.

>Similarly, I thought Cold
>Chisel was one of the best Australian bands ever (and probably should
>have "made it" on the world stage) but I've never been much interested
>in Barnes as a Solo performer.

I liked their really early stuff the best.

Ext User(D Walford)
14-02-2012, 11:45 AM
On 14/02/2012 10:01 AM, Noddy wrote:

> Whatever the reason may be for her success I hope she's enjoying her
> time in the sun, as we're unlikely to hear anything of her in 5 years time.
>

I like her voice but I'm not all that keen on the songs she sings, most
of them are too bland IMO.


Daryl

Ext User(D Walford)
14-02-2012, 11:45 AM
On 14/02/2012 7:54 AM, Diesel Damo wrote:
> On Feb 13, 8:34 pm, Noddy<m...@home.com> wrote:
>> I remember reading about Kylie Minogue's first album release (must have
>> been a slow news day) in which she was being interviewed about the
>> event, and she claimed to be "excited" because the producer had let her
>> use her own voice on two of the tracks.
>
> Even back then??? I mean I knew it was factory produced with almost no
> input from the "artist" and all, but, shit.
>
>> ****.....
>
> That about wraps up my reaction too. It's time for my old man nap I
> think.

I don't anyone including Kylie thinks she is a great singer but IMO what
she is is a great entertainer.


Daryl

Ext User(JONZ)
14-02-2012, 12:57 PM
On 13/02/2012 8:55 PM, Noddy wrote:
> On 13/02/2012 6:25 PM, JONZ wrote:
>
>> Love your work.....
>
> Did you *understand* any of it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, well....It`s the talking head, right on cue. Nothing to say, but
will spruik anyway.....
>
>
>

Ext User(JONZ)
14-02-2012, 01:36 PM
On 13/02/2012 8:55 PM, Noddy wrote:
> On 13/02/2012 6:21 PM, JONZ wrote:
>
>> Agree with most, but Jimmy Barnes could not sing if his life depended on
>> it!!
>
> That depends on your definition of "singing", but most vocalists have
> their niche.
>
> As a crooner he'd suck, but as a hard rock singer he's up there with the
> best of them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``
He`s not a vocalist, he`s a screamalist and definately not "up
there"...Instead, try, Robert Plant, Bruce Dickinson, Axl Rose, Ozzy
Osbourne and Pat Benatar (cant accuse me of sexism) just to name a few
of the best.
>
>
>

Ext User(Diesel Damo)
14-02-2012, 01:43 PM
On Feb 14, 11:33*am, D Walford <dwalf...@internode.on.net> wrote:

> I don't anyone including Kylie thinks she is a great singer but IMO what
> she is is a great entertainer.

I don't doubt that she puts on a great show for her fans, but I'm just
talking about the audio aspect. The human voice is the greatest
musical instrument of them all, and to do this to it is like finding a
crystaline mountain stream untouched by man and washing a diesel sump
pan in it.

What can I say, I feel a tad strongly about it. :)

Hosted by: Eyo Technologies Pty Ltd. Sponsored by: Actiontec Pty Ltd