PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Surround Sound



Stephen Brooker
16-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking around for a surround sound setup and money is an issue.
Also, I'm not looking for anything that flash, it doesn't need to wash
the dishes or anything.

Are any of the $200ish setups any good. There are plenty around in
K-Mart, Target, etc, etc that are around or just under the $200 mark.
Like I said, nothing flash, just something that is better than my 15
year old stereo that I'm using now.

Anyone got any good recommendations?

TIA

Steve.

vavud
16-09-2004, 01:25 PM
I purchased the Yamaha system from Dick Smith for $368.00. No regrets.
Sounds good and looks very nice!

"Stephen Brooker" <stetar@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:2qsdtcF132025U1@uni-berlin.de...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking around for a surround sound setup and money is an issue.
> Also, I'm not looking for anything that flash, it doesn't need to wash
> the dishes or anything.
>
> Are any of the $200ish setups any good. There are plenty around in
> K-Mart, Target, etc, etc that are around or just under the $200 mark.
> Like I said, nothing flash, just something that is better than my 15
> year old stereo that I'm using now.
>
> Anyone got any good recommendations?
>
> TIA
>
> Steve.

wim
16-09-2004, 03:25 PM
"Stephen Brooker" <stetar@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:2qsdtcF132025U1@uni-berlin.de...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking around for a surround sound setup and money is an issue.
> Also, I'm not looking for anything that flash, it doesn't need to wash
> the dishes or anything.
>
> Are any of the $200ish setups any good. There are plenty around in
> K-Mart, Target, etc, etc that are around or just under the $200 mark.
> Like I said, nothing flash, just something that is better than my 15
> year old stereo that I'm using now.
>
> Anyone got any good recommendations?

What are your requirements? Do you want to buy something that includes the
DVD player?
If you already have a DVD player, do you have the digital decoder built-in
already or not?
I found it's not that easy getting a sound system if you already have a DVD
player without a
built-in decoder. Even the LG at around $340 gave me problems because it
was too slow
starting when the digital audio arrived at it, and I had to get a Sony.
The cheapest one I found with the decoder in it was the Voxson at Dick
Smith,
but they seemed to be low in stock all the time, under $300.
If you have a built-in digital audio decoder (Dolby/DTS) then there is a
place
which has a large range of sound systems, they advertise in the Melbourne
Sun for example, can't recall their name.

wj

>
> TIA
>
> Steve.

Stephen Brooker
16-09-2004, 04:15 PM
> What are your requirements? Do you want to buy something that includes the
> DVD player?
> If you already have a DVD player, do you have the digital decoder built-in
> already or not?

Hmm good question I didn't even look. I'll check it out later. It's an
Omni 3200 if anyone knows off the top of their head.

> The cheapest one I found with the decoder in it was the Voxson at Dick
> Smith,
> but they seemed to be low in stock all the time, under $300.

I was looking at that one on the DSE site this afternoon thinking it
looked OK for the money.

> If you have a built-in digital audio decoder (Dolby/DTS) then there is a
> place
> which has a large range of sound systems, they advertise in the Melbourne
> Sun for example, can't recall their name.

Chris Warr
16-09-2004, 04:15 PM
> Anyone got any good recommendations?
>
> TIA
>
> Steve.


I have the Logitech Z680 -
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2,CONTENTID=5048

Cost me $500 and is awesome, built in decoder, might be more than you want
to spend though.

Chris.

Chriz
16-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Once upon a time Stephen Brooker decided to write:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking around for a surround sound setup and money is an issue.
> Also, I'm not looking for anything that flash, it doesn't need to wash
> the dishes or anything.
>
> Are any of the $200ish setups any good. There are plenty around in
> K-Mart, Target, etc, etc that are around or just under the $200 mark.
> Like I said, nothing flash, just something that is better than my 15
> year old stereo that I'm using now.
>
> Anyone got any good recommendations?

Well generally look for the better brands. It's advisable to buy separate
components for total connectivity's sake, but they cost more than a theatre
box which sounds like the thing you're looking for. I myself only have a
mini hifi DVD player, but that's around $900. I've wondered myself what all
these PC speaker home theatre systems sound like so it'll be good to hear
comments of what people have experienced with them.

Alchemist
17-09-2004, 03:15 PM
I know exactly where you're coming from!!

This question has popped up a few times on aus.dvd, I ended up writing
an article about it.

Rather than go through it all again, this is the link:

http://www.dvdbits.com/articles/HTShoestring/index.asp

nothing definitive, just how I got around the problem!!

Best of luck.

Al

Trust me, I'm a chemist....

Stephen Brooker <stetar@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<2qsdtcF132025U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking around for a surround sound setup and money is an issue.
> Also, I'm not looking for anything that flash, it doesn't need to wash
> the dishes or anything.
>
> Are any of the $200ish setups any good. There are plenty around in
> K-Mart, Target, etc, etc that are around or just under the $200 mark.
> Like I said, nothing flash, just something that is better than my 15
> year old stereo that I'm using now.
>
> Anyone got any good recommendations?
>
> TIA
>
> Steve.

Stephen Brooker
17-09-2004, 03:15 PM
>
> Trust me, I'm a chemist....
>

LOL. Well I don't know about that, but thanks for the link.

wim
17-09-2004, 06:55 PM
"Stephen Brooker" <stetar@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:2qsoqjF12s1knU1@uni-berlin.de...
>
> > What are your requirements? Do you want to buy something that includes
the
> > DVD player?
> > If you already have a DVD player, do you have the digital decoder
built-in
> > already or not?
>
> Hmm good question I didn't even look. I'll check it out later. It's an
> Omni 3200 if anyone knows off the top of their head.
>
> > The cheapest one I found with the decoder in it was the Voxson at Dick
> > Smith,
> > but they seemed to be low in stock all the time, under $300.
>
> I was looking at that one on the DSE site this afternoon thinking it
> looked OK for the money.
>
> > If you have a built-in digital audio decoder (Dolby/DTS) then there is a
> > place
> > which has a large range of sound systems, they advertise in the
Melbourne
> > Sun for example, can't recall their name.

I'm mostly sure they're called DEC which may stand for Discount Electrical
something (Components?).
They have a largish range of budget and better surround systems without
decoders, the one
with a decoder was about $1200. I was mislead by the advertising to look
there because I wanted
a decoder.

wj

Stephen Brooker
19-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Stephen Brooker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking around for a surround sound setup and money is an issue.
> Also, I'm not looking for anything that flash, it doesn't need to wash
> the dishes or anything.
>
> Are any of the $200ish setups any good. There are plenty around in
> K-Mart, Target, etc, etc that are around or just under the $200 mark.
> Like I said, nothing flash, just something that is better than my 15
> year old stereo that I'm using now.
>
> Anyone got any good recommendations?
>
> TIA
>
> Steve.

Thanks all for the replies. I ended up getting an AWA unit form Big-W
for $196.00. It's not flash by any means, but it works well, and
compared to what I was using it sounds awesome. Also, it fit the budget
perfectly.

Chriz
19-09-2004, 02:45 PM
Once upon a time Stephen Brooker decided to write:

> Stephen Brooker wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm looking around for a surround sound setup and money is an issue.
>> Also, I'm not looking for anything that flash, it doesn't need to
>> wash the dishes or anything.
>>
>> Are any of the $200ish setups any good. There are plenty around in
>> K-Mart, Target, etc, etc that are around or just under the $200 mark.
>> Like I said, nothing flash, just something that is better than my 15
>> year old stereo that I'm using now.
>>
>> Anyone got any good recommendations?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Steve.
>
> Thanks all for the replies. I ended up getting an AWA unit form Big-W
> for $196.00. It's not flash by any means, but it works well, and
> compared to what I was using it sounds awesome. Also, it fit the
> budget perfectly.

That's the most important thing; for you to be happy with what you got,
especially at the price you got it. Some of the home theatre purists will go
on about how crap things like this may be, but if you're happy with it, it
doesn't matter.

wim
19-09-2004, 08:25 PM
"Stephen Brooker" <stetar@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:2r4dr7F151902U1@uni-berlin.de...
> Stephen Brooker wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm looking around for a surround sound setup and money is an issue.
> > Also, I'm not looking for anything that flash, it doesn't need to wash
> > the dishes or anything.
> >
> > Are any of the $200ish setups any good. There are plenty around in
> > K-Mart, Target, etc, etc that are around or just under the $200 mark.
> > Like I said, nothing flash, just something that is better than my 15
> > year old stereo that I'm using now.
> >
> > Anyone got any good recommendations?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Steve.
>
> Thanks all for the replies. I ended up getting an AWA unit form Big-W
> for $196.00. It's not flash by any means, but it works well, and
> compared to what I was using it sounds awesome. Also, it fit the budget
> perfectly.

I take it that includes the DVD player or doesn't include a decoder, an
option I never had.

Stephen Brooker
20-09-2004, 09:15 AM
wim wrote:
> "Stephen Brooker" <stetar@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:2r4dr7F151902U1@uni-berlin.de...
>
>>Stephen Brooker wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I'm looking around for a surround sound setup and money is an issue.
>>>Also, I'm not looking for anything that flash, it doesn't need to wash
>>>the dishes or anything.
>>>
>>>Are any of the $200ish setups any good. There are plenty around in
>>>K-Mart, Target, etc, etc that are around or just under the $200 mark.
>>>Like I said, nothing flash, just something that is better than my 15
>>>year old stereo that I'm using now.
>>>
>>>Anyone got any good recommendations?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>
>>>Steve.
>>
>>Thanks all for the replies. I ended up getting an AWA unit form Big-W
>>for $196.00. It's not flash by any means, but it works well, and
>>compared to what I was using it sounds awesome. Also, it fit the budget
>>perfectly.
>
>
> I take it that includes the DVD player or doesn't include a decoder, an
> option I never had.
>
>
>

Nope, no player. I only live in a 4 room unit and I already have 2
players, last thing I needed was another one!

wadeo_mmm
21-09-2004, 08:32 PM
I purchased the Yamaha system from d**k Smith for $368.00. No regrets.
Sounds good and looks very nice!

"Stephen Brooker" <stetar@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:2qsdtcF132025U1@uni-berlin.de...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking around for a surround sound setup and money is an issue.
> Also, I'm not looking for anything that flash, it doesn't need to wash
> the dishes or anything.
>
> Are any of the $200ish setups any good. There are plenty around in
> K-Mart, Target, etc, etc that are around or just under the $200 mark.
> Like I said, nothing flash, just something that is better than my 15
> year old stereo that I'm using now.
>
> Anyone got any good recommendations?
>
> TIA
>
> Steve.
I got this (assumed) same Yamaha from Dick Smith for $360, for my dad on Father's Day and it is great. Comes with 5 satellite speakers and a sub-woofer. It is purely a sound processor (no video), but has 2 digital and one analog input, sounds good in a medium sized room. A bargain for $360.00

Hosted by: Eyo Technologies Pty Ltd. Sponsored by: Actiontec Pty Ltd