PDA

View Full Version : Ford Radio Security Code



Dunne E. Dawe
02-12-2004, 06:44 AM
Further to my earlier query about the radio in my NA 'Lane, I
contacted Ford Australia who told me it is too old for their system to
have the security code still. They referred me to AWA Clarion.
I tried to ring them before lunch in Perth, but they had closed for
the day, daylight saving, so I emailed them to hopefully get a reply
early tomorrow. The urgency is that I've left it till the last minute
(as usual) to get the code for our first long trip in the beast.
I've managed to get past those tricky security screws and got the
thing out of the dash. No code numbers scrawled on the box. There is a
stamped number, but that will be a part number I assume.

If I get the code, how do I find out how to enter it?
What is the usual trick to enter a code number?
I've only ever been asked to enter the code on the screen in other
radios, but this comes up with 456 and does nothing for any button
pressed. I assume that you hold something down while you press the
numbers. Anyone know, off-hand, what this might be?
I suppose I could start from 000 and aim for 999 and see what
happens :)

BTW, there are 13 wires coming into a 14 pin plug. What on Earth could
all these be? Two power, and what, eight speaker wires?
It has one of those toggle joy sticks for the speaker balance.
I wonder what the other three wires are. Perhaps a light and a couple
of antenna controllers? Makes putting in another radio without this 14
pin socket a bit of a headache :-)

Anyone tell me what the usual colour codes are for radio wires?
I've got a lovely old Toyota radio and each wire has a clear tag on it
in several languages for exactly what it is for. Now if only Ford...

Dunne E. Dawe
02-12-2004, 02:53 PM
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:09:51 +1100, D Walford <walford@iprimus.com.au>
posted:

>"Dunne E. Dawe" wrote:
>>
>> Further to my earlier query about the radio in my NA 'Lane, I
>> contacted Ford Australia who told me it is too old for their system to
>> have the security code still. They referred me to AWA Clarion.
>> I tried to ring them before lunch in Perth, but they had closed for
>> the day, daylight saving, so I emailed them to hopefully get a reply
>> early tomorrow. The urgency is that I've left it till the last minute
>> (as usual) to get the code for our first long trip in the beast.
>> I've managed to get past those tricky security screws and got the
>> thing out of the dash. No code numbers scrawled on the box. There is a
>> stamped number, but that will be a part number I assume.
>>
>> If I get the code, how do I find out how to enter it?
>
>From Fairlane owners manual:
>Switch radio on.
>Input code number by pushing the numbered preset buttons.
>The code will appear briefly on the display window and if correct, will
>change to the radio frequency and the radio will operate normally.
>If a mistake is made when inputting the code press and hold the am/fm
>band selector button for at least 3 seconds then reinput the correct
>code number.
>If you enter the code incorrectly you must wait 3 minutes befroe
>attempting the reinput the correct code.
>
>If nothing happens when you press the buttons as above I suspect the
>radio is stuffed.
>
>
>
>Daryl

Thanks so much for that, Daryl.
I guess a stuffed radio is to be expected along with everything else
on the car. Although the trip computer seems to work and is a lot of
fun. the Krooze Kontrol also seems to work, but is rather clunky and
primitive compared with my daughter's AU 'coon.

I've been tracing coloured wires from the radio to see what goes
where. I've traced the 8 speaker wires and there's a brown wire and a
black one. Would these be the + and - power leads perhaps?
Is there a standard colour coding, or does every manufacturer do his
own thing?

Graham W
02-12-2004, 06:54 PM
Dunne E. Dawe wrote:
> BTW, there are 13 wires coming into a 14 pin plug. What on Earth could
> all these be? Two power, and what, eight speaker wires?

Each speaker will have it's own earth, so 8 speaker wires.
Live, ignition, park lights, earth, and probably a couple to tell the
electric antenna when to dance.

> It has one of those toggle joy sticks for the speaker balance.
> I wonder what the other three wires are. Perhaps a light and a couple
> of antenna controllers? Makes putting in another radio without this 14
> pin socket a bit of a headache :-)

Not really. Everything you're ever likely to need will be there, it's
just a matetr of finding out which is what.

D Walford
02-12-2004, 09:09 PM
"Dunne E. Dawe" wrote:
>
> Further to my earlier query about the radio in my NA 'Lane, I
> contacted Ford Australia who told me it is too old for their system to
> have the security code still. They referred me to AWA Clarion.
> I tried to ring them before lunch in Perth, but they had closed for
> the day, daylight saving, so I emailed them to hopefully get a reply
> early tomorrow. The urgency is that I've left it till the last minute
> (as usual) to get the code for our first long trip in the beast.
> I've managed to get past those tricky security screws and got the
> thing out of the dash. No code numbers scrawled on the box. There is a
> stamped number, but that will be a part number I assume.
>
> If I get the code, how do I find out how to enter it?

From Fairlane owners manual:
Switch radio on.
Input code number by pushing the numbered preset buttons.
The code will appear briefly on the display window and if correct, will
change to the radio frequency and the radio will operate normally.
If a mistake is made when inputting the code press and hold the am/fm
band selector button for at least 3 seconds then reinput the correct
code number.
If you enter the code incorrectly you must wait 3 minutes befroe
attempting the reinput the correct code.

If nothing happens when you press the buttons as above I suspect the
radio is stuffed.



Daryl

Dunne E. Dawe
03-12-2004, 02:45 AM
On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 10:51:58 +1100, Graham W
<zebedee@alphalink.commercial.au> posted:

>Dunne E. Dawe wrote:
>> I've been tracing coloured wires from the radio to see what goes
>> where. I've traced the 8 speaker wires and there's a brown wire and a
>> black one. Would these be the + and - power leads perhaps?
>
>Would a multimeter on the car end tell you perhaps? 8-P

Of course, but all I've been doing so far is mapping the colours on
the 14 pin plug. I will use a multimeter for confirmation, of course.
There are apparently two power wires. A power controlled by the ign
switch and a power on all the time to hold memory, and then the
antenna power or relay controllerv and illumination. If I was sure
that the Failrlane radio was beyond redemption, I would rip the 14 pin
plug out of the back of it and solder it to the labelled leads out of
the Toyota radio and then I gould just plug it in. I have another
up-to-date CD player in a car that my son is getting rid of, so that
the Toyota job is prolly only a stopgap. I know I'm going overboard
about radios worth less than $5 each, but I'm a cash-strapped
pensioner trying to support my single parent granddaughter, and this
old Fairlane is a free Godsend only used where essential and where
subsidised public transport is unsuitable.

>Check the voltage on each as you turn the ignition on and off.
>
>> Is there a standard colour coding, or does every manufacturer do his
>> own thing?
>
>There are standards, but each manufacturer seems to use the one they like...

Yeah, I've found some standards here
http://www.sfxaudio.com/AudioSchool/colorcodes.asp
which are the EIA standards, and which give a good guide as to what to
look for, but not take as gospel.

Thanks for all your help Daryl. I've postponed my trip (petrol paid by
someone else :) til Sunday, so who knows, I might have music to add to
the windrush past the open window as the fan/AC doesn't work :-)

Graham W
03-12-2004, 10:51 AM
Dunne E. Dawe wrote:
> I've been tracing coloured wires from the radio to see what goes
> where. I've traced the 8 speaker wires and there's a brown wire and a
> black one. Would these be the + and - power leads perhaps?

Would a multimeter on the car end tell you perhaps? 8-P

Check the voltage on each as you turn the ignition on and off.

> Is there a standard colour coding, or does every manufacturer do his
> own thing?

There are standards, but each manufacturer seems to use the one they like...

D Walford
03-12-2004, 05:01 PM
"Dunne E. Dawe" wrote:
>


> I've been tracing coloured wires from the radio to see what goes
> where. I've traced the 8 speaker wires and there's a brown wire and a
> black one. Would these be the + and - power leads perhaps?
> Is there a standard colour coding, or does every manufacturer do his
> own thing?

My Gregorys manual seems to show that brown is most likely something to
do with the power antenna.
"Standard" wire colour's are blue for power antenna, red is power with
ign. on and yellow is power all the time for preset memories, black is
earth.
It doesn't look like Ford uses those colours.



Daryl

Dunne E. Dawe
04-12-2004, 02:59 AM
On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 12:14:11 +1100, "Nathan"
<magnaboy@nospam.westnet-dot-com.au> posted:

>
>----- Original Message -----
>From: "Dunne E. Dawe" <never@never.again>
>Newsgroups: aus.cars
>Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 6:44 AM
>Subject: Ford Radio Security Code
>
>
>> Further to my earlier query about the radio in my NA 'Lane, I
>> contacted Ford Australia who told me it is too old for their system to
>> have the security code still.
>
>Sounds like bullocks to me. Only two weeks ago I managed to get one for a 91
>model EB Falcon straight from the local Ford dealer. They can generally do
>it by the radio's serial number and/or VIN.
>
>Cheers,
>Nathan
>
Thanks Nathan, I will try the local guy. Maybe Ford Aust has purged
their system but the local guy may still have the printout.

Nathan
04-12-2004, 12:14 PM
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dunne E. Dawe" <never@never.again>
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 6:44 AM
Subject: Ford Radio Security Code


> Further to my earlier query about the radio in my NA 'Lane, I
> contacted Ford Australia who told me it is too old for their system to
> have the security code still.

Sounds like bullocks to me. Only two weeks ago I managed to get one for a 91
model EB Falcon straight from the local Ford dealer. They can generally do
it by the radio's serial number and/or VIN.

Cheers,
Nathan

Steve
07-12-2004, 11:12 PM
got my last code from Range Ford in Maddington on a Saturday morning, very
helpful guys :)

cheers
Steve

"Dunne E. Dawe" <never@never.again> wrote in message
news:b831r0pg9f5702lbp69qdsuv77jide95ob@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 12:14:11 +1100, "Nathan"
> <magnaboy@nospam.westnet-dot-com.au> posted:
>
> >
> >----- Original Message -----
> >From: "Dunne E. Dawe" <never@never.again>
> >Newsgroups: aus.cars
> >Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 6:44 AM
> >Subject: Ford Radio Security Code
> >
> >
> >> Further to my earlier query about the radio in my NA 'Lane, I
> >> contacted Ford Australia who told me it is too old for their system to
> >> have the security code still.
> >
> >Sounds like bullocks to me. Only two weeks ago I managed to get one for a
91
> >model EB Falcon straight from the local Ford dealer. They can generally
do
> >it by the radio's serial number and/or VIN.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Nathan
> >
> Thanks Nathan, I will try the local guy. Maybe Ford Aust has purged
> their system but the local guy may still have the printout.

Dunne E. Dawe
07-12-2004, 11:38 PM
On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 20:12:25 +0800, "Steve" <steves@home.now> posted:

>got my last code from Range Ford in Maddington on a Saturday morning, very
>helpful guys :)

Thanks, but apparently the Ford AWA beast was stuffed -- well it
certainly is now :-)

>cheers
>Steve
>
>"Dunne E. Dawe" <never@never.again> wrote in message
>news:b831r0pg9f5702lbp69qdsuv77jide95ob@4ax.com...
>> On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 12:14:11 +1100, "Nathan"
>> <magnaboy@nospam.westnet-dot-com.au> posted:
>>
>> >
>> >----- Original Message -----
>> >From: "Dunne E. Dawe" <never@never.again>
>> >Newsgroups: aus.cars
>> >Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 6:44 AM
>> >Subject: Ford Radio Security Code
>> >
>> >
>> >> Further to my earlier query about the radio in my NA 'Lane, I
>> >> contacted Ford Australia who told me it is too old for their system to
>> >> have the security code still.
>> >
>> >Sounds like bullocks to me. Only two weeks ago I managed to get one for a
>91
>> >model EB Falcon straight from the local Ford dealer. They can generally
>do
>> >it by the radio's serial number and/or VIN.
>> >
>> >Cheers,
>> >Nathan
>> >
>> Thanks Nathan, I will try the local guy. Maybe Ford Aust has purged
>> their system but the local guy may still have the printout.
>

Hosted by: Eyo Technologies Pty Ltd. Sponsored by: Actiontec Pty Ltd