PDA

View Full Version : Perth wins Super 14 berth



Pages : [1] 2

Monty
10-12-2004, 03:45 PM
What was Brax thinking? With a city boasting a population twice that of the
whole of WA he should have called on Jeff Kennett to help him.

rb
10-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Monty wrote:
> What was Brax thinking? With a city boasting a population twice that of the
> whole of WA he should have called on Jeff Kennett to help him.
>
>
Were there any public assets to flog?

Monty
10-12-2004, 04:57 PM
"rb" <snafu_1@lycos.com> wrote in message
news:cpbbb4$hik$1@tomahawk.unsw.edu.au...
> Monty wrote:
>> What was Brax thinking? With a city boasting a population twice that
of the
>> whole of WA he should have called on Jeff Kennett to help him.
>>
>>
> Were there any public assets to flog?

No, but is anyone in the market for some used politicians?

I still can't figure out where the games would be held. In the past the
WACA was used but now there's talk about pulling it down. I don't think
Subiaco would take it given all the other sports held there.

Ian Galbraith
10-12-2004, 05:09 PM
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 04:45:43 GMT, "Monty" <nomeneither@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>What was Brax thinking? With a city boasting a population twice that of the
>whole of WA he should have called on Jeff Kennett to help him.

More like what was the ARU thinking, going with the seeming safe
option rather than elect to actually try and grow the game. The Perth
RL team failed why won't this one?

Chris Cox
10-12-2004, 05:26 PM
"Ian Galbraith" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:t9dir0d14539odi1fhecu8f3hlcvi2ccrq@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 04:45:43 GMT, "Monty" <nomeneither@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >What was Brax thinking? With a city boasting a population twice that of
the
> >whole of WA he should have called on Jeff Kennett to help him.
>
> More like what was the ARU thinking, going with the seeming safe
> option rather than elect to actually try and grow the game. The Perth
> RL team failed why won't this one?

Because it won't be owned by News Limited who will just pull the plug for
the sake of resolving a dispute. That's the only reason Perth disappeared
from rugby league. It was actually doing OK, and indeed, the WARL is still
pumping along quite nicely.

It's one of the great tragedies of rugby league. Had they persevered, I
think now, 6 years down the track, we'd probably see the team made up of a
good proportion of local players.

David Hardie
10-12-2004, 05:47 PM
In article <t9dir0d14539odi1fhecu8f3hlcvi2ccrq@4ax.com>, Ian Galbraith
<me@privacy.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 04:45:43 GMT, "Monty" <nomeneither@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >What was Brax thinking? With a city boasting a population twice that of the
> >whole of WA he should have called on Jeff Kennett to help him.
>
> More like what was the ARU thinking, going with the seeming safe
> option rather than elect to actually try and grow the game. The Perth
> RL team failed why won't this one?

The melbourne RL team is struggling as well.

D.

Chris Cox
10-12-2004, 05:57 PM
"David Hardie" <davidlh@nospam.cyllene.uwa.edu.au> wrote in message
news:davidlh-1012041447290001@davidlh.general.dialup.uwa.edu.au ...
> In article <t9dir0d14539odi1fhecu8f3hlcvi2ccrq@4ax.com>, Ian Galbraith
> <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 04:45:43 GMT, "Monty" <nomeneither@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >What was Brax thinking? With a city boasting a population twice that
of the
> > >whole of WA he should have called on Jeff Kennett to help him.
> >
> > More like what was the ARU thinking, going with the seeming safe
> > option rather than elect to actually try and grow the game. The Perth
> > RL team failed why won't this one?
>
> The melbourne RL team is struggling as well.

No more than the Bears were struggling in 1993 ;-)

Thomas 'bacco|007' Baxter
10-12-2004, 09:49 PM
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:09:04 +1100, Ian Galbraith wrote:

> More like what was the ARU thinking, going with the seeming safe
> option rather than elect to actually try and grow the game. The Perth
> RL team failed why won't this one?

The Melbourne NRL Franchise will be gone in 5 years - Victoria is too AFL
Dominted (as someone said to me today, Victorians dont know the difference
between league & union anyway - the only Football that exists is AFL)
--
aDTVinfo - http://bacco007.dropbear.id.au

Ian Galbraith
10-12-2004, 10:40 PM
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:49:04 +1100, Thomas 'bacco|007' Baxter
<nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:09:04 +1100, Ian Galbraith wrote:

>> More like what was the ARU thinking, going with the seeming safe
>> option rather than elect to actually try and grow the game. The Perth
>> RL team failed why won't this one?

>The Melbourne NRL Franchise will be gone in 5 years - Victoria is too AFL
>Dominted (as someone said to me today, Victorians dont know the difference
>between league & union anyway - the only Football that exists is AFL)

Why not teach them? It is changing anyway, and if they could have
cracked the market they would have reaped the rewards. IMHO RU is far
more likely to be more successful because its a better game and it
features international teams.

Natalie
10-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Ian Galbraith wrote:
>
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:49:04 +1100, Thomas 'bacco|007' Baxter
> <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:09:04 +1100, Ian Galbraith wrote:
>
> >> More like what was the ARU thinking, going with the seeming safe
> >> option rather than elect to actually try and grow the game. The Perth
> >> RL team failed why won't this one?
>
> >The Melbourne NRL Franchise will be gone in 5 years - Victoria is too AFL
> >Dominted (as someone said to me today, Victorians dont know the difference
> >between league & union anyway - the only Football that exists is AFL)
>
> Why not teach them? It is changing anyway, and if they could have
> cracked the market they would have reaped the rewards. IMHO RU is far
> more likely to be more successful because its a better game and it
> features international teams.

So that's why it's so incredibly popular and is on Pay TV! Bah,
International Rugby Union is no different to Super 12, boring as all
hell, I'd rather watch affle, which given I don't have pay TV, is my
only option! And the Perth Reds WERE successful, **** whatever the NRL
and News wants you to think.

Natalie

Jason Cornelius
12-12-2004, 02:23 AM
"Monty" <nomeneither@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:XR9ud.66702$K7.8057@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> What was Brax thinking? With a city boasting a population twice that of
> the whole of WA he should have called on Jeff Kennett to help him.

Quality over quantity.
And quite frankly, the Melbourne proposal has been described as "amateurish"
when compared to the Perth proposal.

Jason.

Chris Cox
12-12-2004, 10:43 AM
"Ian Galbraith" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:9e2jr0hadtl2s26p37j2s4jfmnkd1d2afo@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:49:04 +1100, Thomas 'bacco|007' Baxter
> <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:09:04 +1100, Ian Galbraith wrote:
>
> >> More like what was the ARU thinking, going with the seeming safe
> >> option rather than elect to actually try and grow the game. The Perth
> >> RL team failed why won't this one?
>
> >The Melbourne NRL Franchise will be gone in 5 years - Victoria is too AFL
> >Dominted (as someone said to me today, Victorians dont know the
difference
> >between league & union anyway - the only Football that exists is AFL)
>
> Why not teach them? It is changing anyway, and if they could have
> cracked the market they would have reaped the rewards. IMHO RU is far
> more likely to be more successful because its a better game and it
> features international teams.

Whether it's a better game or not is a matter of opinion. Given the ratings
of the NRL Grand Final and State of Origin, there's millions who disagree.

Josh B
12-12-2004, 01:33 PM
On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 09:42:39 +1000, Chris Cox (or one of
their many personalities) said.....


>> IMHO RU is far more likely to be more successful because its a better game and it
>> features international teams.
>
>Whether it's a better game or not is a matter of opinion. Given the ratings
>of the NRL Grand Final and State of Origin, there's millions who disagree.

As opposed to the final of last year's Rugby World Cup?

Jaspar
12-12-2004, 03:13 PM
Because a lot of South Africans will be willing to make the trip to Perth.

Plus, there are already a lot of South Africans already in Perth.

ho'JU

"Ian Galbraith" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:t9dir0d14539odi1fhecu8f3hlcvi2ccrq@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 04:45:43 GMT, "Monty" <nomeneither@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>What was Brax thinking? With a city boasting a population twice that of
>>the
>>whole of WA he should have called on Jeff Kennett to help him.
>
> More like what was the ARU thinking, going with the seeming safe
> option rather than elect to actually try and grow the game. The Perth
> RL team failed why won't this one?
>
>
>

Monty
12-12-2004, 03:33 PM
"Jaspar" <jj@stuff.com> wrote in message
news:41bbc39e$0$7039$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
> Because a lot of South Africans will be willing to make the trip to
Perth.
>
> Plus, there are already a lot of South Africans already in Perth.
>
> ho'JU
>
Heh. They could *swim* across the Indian Ocean. If they get into trouble
our navy would "rescue" them and bring them to Perth.

Ian Galbraith
12-12-2004, 05:53 PM
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 23:23:08 +0800, "Jason Cornelius"
<junk@jasecornelius.com> wrote:

>"Monty" <nomeneither@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:XR9ud.66702$K7.8057@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>> What was Brax thinking? With a city boasting a population twice that of
>> the whole of WA he should have called on Jeff Kennett to help him.

>Quality over quantity.
>And quite frankly, the Melbourne proposal has been described as "amateurish"
>when compared to the Perth proposal.

By who?

Ian Galbraith
12-12-2004, 05:53 PM
On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:06:53 +1100, "Jaspar" <jj@stuff.com> wrote:

>Because a lot of South Africans will be willing to make the trip to Perth.

>Plus, there are already a lot of South Africans already in Perth.

Yeah like I said the safe option.

Chris Cox
13-12-2004, 10:13 AM
"Josh B" <joshbSPAM@ozDELETEdebate.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1c26553fe5f2e6589897b1@News.Individual.NE T...
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 09:42:39 +1000, Chris Cox (or one of
> their many personalities) said.....
>
>
> >> IMHO RU is far more likely to be more successful because its a better
game and it
> >> features international teams.
> >
> >Whether it's a better game or not is a matter of opinion. Given the
ratings
> >of the NRL Grand Final and State of Origin, there's millions who
disagree.
>
> As opposed to the final of last year's Rugby World Cup?

Does that happen every year?

No.

Thank you, come again.

Jason Cornelius
14-12-2004, 01:43 PM
"Ian Galbraith" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:5vpnr0tk6bvn95glu98si5eq2md6hg5r06@4ax.com...
>
>>Quality over quantity.
>>And quite frankly, the Melbourne proposal has been described as
>>"amateurish"
>>when compared to the Perth proposal.
>
> By who?

I've been looking for the quote, but have been unable to find it. And
remember I'm saying "comparitively speaking". The Melbourne proposal wasn't
bad, it's just that the Perth proposal was so good.
All I can offer is a snippet from the West Australian which may or may not
offer some more insight.

--------------
Perth beat Melbourne in the two areas the Victorian capital was supposed
to have a decisive edge, money and people. The WA group secured pledges for
$4 million in sponsorship, about $1 million more than its rival, which had
emphasised Melbourne's superior corporate clout throughout the bid process.
It was a stunning coup for Perth's fundraisers which made a huge
impression on the ARU powerbrokers.
Melbourne's greater population was discounted because the ARU predicted
crowds would be bigger in Perth.
ARU commercial operations general manager Brian Thornburn said: "The
corporate and community support in Perth was outstanding. The total of $4
million in sponsorship is exceptional. It's right up there with the best
results we've had in Australia."
ARU chief executive Gary Flowers praised the WA submission for its high
quality.
"There was a high level of detail across all the areas where the ARU
required certainty," he said. "It was a compelling proposal and any
questions we had were dealt with quickly and professionally. The bid took
care of the little things as well as the big items, things like encouraging
players to live close to the training facilities, which will themselves be
of a high standard.
"It is really critical to this submission to appreciate the level of
connectivity to the community that this submission demonstrated and in many
ways this was a victory for people power."
ARU high-performance manager Brett Robinson said: "A couple of rugby mums
.. . . arranged an open day at Subiaco Oval off their own bat and 6500 locals
turned up to support their bid.
"There was a real sense in visits to WA that at all levels there was
enormous support. There were high levels of expressions of interest in
relation to memberships, in excess of 6000 in their bid."

David Hardie
17-12-2004, 10:36 PM
In article <31sts7F3g1iocU1@individual.net>, "Chris Cox"
<cjcox@bludgingatwork.optushome.com.au> wrote:


>
> Because it won't be owned by News Limited who will just pull the plug for
> the sake of resolving a dispute. That's the only reason Perth disappeared
> from rugby league. It was actually doing OK, and indeed, the WARL is still
> pumping along quite nicely.

How can you say that? It is rarely in the news.

Hosted by: Eyo Technologies Pty Ltd. Sponsored by: Actiontec Pty Ltd