eyo technlogies For your PC needs
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: All sony console mods and chip questions/chat here.

QUICK HELPPPPPPPPP !!!

i have a feeling my ps2 slimline laser is going to die out because iv been playing copied games for about 2 months without laser protection. i found someone who can install me a matrix laser fix straight away but i wanted a subzero fix because thats what everyone is recommending me but i got to wait for him to get it. can someone please tell me if its worth installing a matrix fix instead of waiting for the subzero fix? does the matrix fix really work? my slimline has a duo2SE chip installed.

1 more question.. on my ps2 box it says the version is SPCH-70002SS .. so is my slimline a v10 v11 or v12?

loslobo is offline EYO forum member I'm either new or don't have much to say

ur version is a version 12 none of the solderable slimline fixes work they just postphone the problem. The only way to fix is to have a software regulator such as swap magic+ . A friend of mine has run both and well over 300 swap magics not a single laser replacement has been necesary over 9 months as long as customer uses swap magic b4 every disc. He has 100% non failure rate with this type of laser fixes.

by for the guy who recomended quantronics i happen to know they also stock the swap magic disc setup. Ask them which is more stable and ask why they bother selling the modchip option as well for the slimline when they know eventually the laser will fail??(old stock??)

i find it interesting that Cavern imports refuse to sell the modchip for the v12 on these grounds and they are known as premier installers so what does that say for the modchips for v12.
    Actually after speaking to little jonny he threw a bunch of unopened matrix infinity's in the bin on principal after doing three failed perfect installs bench test only,(did not fail immediately but did eventually (after one weeks solid 24 hours use) in a row with the diode fix.(and not a single modchip returned in ps2 v3-11 mods in over 6 months)

dj_mocok is offline Treat me like a newbie I'm either new or don't have much to say

Talking about Quantronics, now why do they only have 10-day warranty for modchip installation?

There is actually a modchip installer in front of my place, and they offer 3 months warranty.

I'm going to get my PS2 (ver 7) modchipped soon, so I am currently trying to decide whose service I will use. But really, the 10-day only warranty has been my biggest concern so far. Why are they so inconfident with their own work? (I assume if they are confident, the warranty will be much longer)?

Sony loses Australian copyright case
    Published: July 26, 2002, 12:15 PM PDT
    By David Becker
    Staff Writer
    TrackBack Print E-mail TalkBack

Sony has suffered a setback in its international fight against "mod chips" that enable its PlayStation video game machines to play illegally copied games.

A federal judge in Australia ruled Friday that mod chips sold for the original PlayStation do not infringe on Sony copyright protections under Australian laws, which are similar to the U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act. The decision comes a week after a Canadian man was sentenced to probation and fined $17,000 for selling mod chips and pirated games for Sony's PlayStation 2.

Mod chips are add-ons that typically have to be soldered to a game console's main circuit board. Properly installed, they defeat copy protection measures built into the consoles, allowing users to play games originally sent to different geographic markets, backup copies and bootleg discs. Hackers have also seized on mod chips for Microsoft's Xbox as a way to run homemade software on the console.

In the Australian case, Sony accused Eddy Stevens of Sydney of violating Sony copyrights by selling and installing mod chips for the original PlayStation.

Federal Court of Australia Judge Ronald Sackville found that the chips do not violate Australian laws forbidding circumvention of "technological protection measures." Sackville said the technology mod chips disable doesn't constitute a "technology protection measure" under the law because it also prevents legal activity, including the playback of imported games and personal backup copies of games.

"There is nothing in the evidence to suggest that the major purpose or objective of the protective device, from the applicants' perspective, was to ensure that the PlayStation consoles could only play PlayStation games lawfully acquired in Australia or Europe," Sackville wrote in his ruling.

Sackville also found that the PlayStation doesn't employ legitimate copyright protection measures because while the technology prevents playing copied games, it doesn't prevent illegal copying.

"There seems to be nothing in the legislative history to support the view that a technological measure is to receive legal protection from circumvention devices if the only way in which the measure prevents or inhibits the infringement of copyright is by discouraging infringements of copyright which predate the attempt to gain access to the work or to copy it," he wrote.

The judge did agree with Sony's claim that Stevens infringed on the company's trademark by selling bootleg PlayStation games. Sentencing on that charge will happen later.

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-946640.html

great news for modchippers everwhere

Bit outdated don't you think?

good example of why ishould read more of what i post, ie: i posted the wrong article. he won in the high court on thursady i have posted the original decision.
    heres the new one:

Sony Loses PlayStation Copyright Case in Australia

The ruling allows Australian gamers to legally use "mod chips" to play games bought in other countries.

Mitchell Bingemann, PC World Australia
    Friday, October 07, 2005

SYDNEY -- After a four-year court battle, the High Court of Australia on Thursday ruled unanimously against Sony in a PlayStation copyright case.

Advertisement

The court decreed that modifying Sony PlayStation consoles so they can play overseas versions of the company's games did not violate Australian copyright laws. In 2001, Sony had brought an action for copyright infringement against Eddy Stevens, whose Australian business modifies and repairs PlayStation console equipment.

"Sony did what they thought they had to do, but we weren't going to lie down and cop it sweet," said Stevens.

Mod Chips Not Illegal

In its ruling, the court said that while making a pirated copy of a game is illegal, playing a game using a "mod chip" is not. Mod chips, such as those installed by Stevens, allow PlayStations to play games from other geographic regions. Normally, PlayStations--like DVD players and other game consoles--can play only media made for a specific region.

It has been an up and down battle for the small businessman, who over the course of the case has tasted both success and defeat. In 2002, a court ruled in his favor, but a year later that result was overturned when Sony's appeal was upheld by the Federal Court.

Stevens' lawyers, who represented him on a pro bono basis, heralded the ruling as a "landmark copyright case" championing the rights of consumers. The decision will allow Australian consumers to buy and legally play potentially cheaper games from other countries.

"If Sony has any sense at all, they should be content with the money they make," Stevens said.

Sony was ordered to pay the legal costs. The company declined to comment.

raz0r is offline EYO forum member I'm either new or don't have much to say

Slimline chip

Does anyone know if it is wise to get a modchip in a ps2 slimline? I've heard bad things, but if its not does anyone know where I can get it chipped somewhere in melbourne? And how much?

Thanks

Fooni is offline Regular Forum Member I have been around for a while

I have a slimline that chip but it works perfectly. THe best to have a slimline safely chipped is by giving it the best mod chip like dms4 pro or matrix infinity geuine. I have a matrix infinty with a laser fix and it works perfectly.

raz0r is offline EYO forum member I'm either new or don't have much to say

How much did it cost you?

i need advice ...

hello everyone ...

iv finally decided to chip my ps2 - scph 50002 ss (satin silver)

well .. over the past week iv been doing research

My friends & the online SOCOM2 commuinty recommended these 2

DMS4 E.Z.I pro - $105(solderless) $78 (solder)
    Matrix Infinity - $65

Now all i need is a place that sells mod chips for cheap & must be original !!

Most likely i will be getting the DMS4 ... but i havent found a place in melbourne that stocks and installs them, does anyone know where ??

If i cant find someone that stocks and installs them i might just have to order it over the net & get a family friend to install it

but please do post any info if it helpful

thanks all

go see jonny @ Cavernimports in Boronia mall shoppin mall,
    :send him an email sales@cavernimports.com
    :visit his website website www/cavernimports.com or call him on 039762 1946
    he knows his stuff and you wont be disappointed.

onlinejames is offline EYO forum member I'm either new or don't have much to say

which chip for ps2 V9

I just got a ps2 v9 for my son, i want to chip it, and with all the chips around im confused which is best value
    Its only going to be used for games and some movies, i want it to be able to play all games(ps2 and ps1) and maybe later ill put a hard drive in it, also want it to have laser protection ( built in ) prefered
    Looking for a cheap mod, what ive seen is
    mars chip 2 for $11
    ps2 H20 chip $40 - $50
    Muppet chip for $40
    PS2 DUO2 SE MODCHIP $39
    I want a reasonably easy chip to install as ill do it myself
    I'm also wanting to know where can you buy kynar wire, ive seen there are different types(quality)
    Im located in melbourne, where can you buy the hard drive adapters from ( secondhand prefered)
    thanks

Modchip installation Tasmania

G'day,
    Just wondering if anyone knows of someone capable of installing a Modchip (Modbo 1.2) into a silver version 9 PS2, in the Hobart area?.

is it worth modding a v1 ps2?

hey guys, just a quickie, i'm considering modding a v1 ps2, the first of the ones that came to aus. is it worth doing the mod or will the laser clap out? i think it's only rated at 3 years and i've had it for 5. any ideas?

thanks in advance,
    jingles.

Quote Originally Posted by loslobo
    by for the guy who recomended quantronics i happen to know they also stock the swap magic disc setup. Ask them which is more stable and ask why they bother selling the modchip option as well for the slimline when they know eventually the laser will fail??(old stock??)

i find it interesting that Cavern imports refuse to sell the modchip for the v12 on these grounds and they are known as premier installers so what does that say for the modchips for v12.
    Actually after speaking to little jonny he threw a bunch of unopened matrix infinity's in the bin on principal after doing three failed perfect installs bench test only,(did not fail immediately but did eventually (after one weeks solid 24 hours use) in a row with the diode fix.(and not a single modchip returned in ps2 v3-11 mods in over 6 months)
    If you look at the latest h20 chip with inbuilt subzero fix they do everything and I know someone whos done 5 and not a problem as yet.The matrix and ds are good but I think h20 could do better.Im gonna try one see how I go.Thanks for the info on cavern imports ill go take a look cheers
    Swap Magic and HDadvance dont work with all games especially large new ones and need alot of work to burn and use backups.The issue with the lasers in the v12+ are that they are extremelly low grade from the day you purchased it, PVR-802 lasers are no good.If your gonna chip a new one you should also put in an spu3100 laser when you do so, as your old laser already probably half dead from normal use.They expensive I know but tell sony,modchipped v1+'s still running fine with first laser this I beleive is just due to a very low grade laser in the manufacture of the 12+'s.Also in these they have an 8.5v dc brushless fan which I beleive is not powerfull enough to cool the board properly and also after about 6months+ starts to slow down and not work properly.I beleive these slimlines are full of dodgy parts that dont have high enough tolerances.Heres what im gonna do,im gonna get the new h20 chip, a more powerfull fan, a new spu3100 laser ,put a fliptop lid , use swap magic,get a 300gig HD with broadband adaptor,try and play most games that will work from HD with HD advance.Now if after all these things I dont have uninterupted game play im simply not going to bother with sony anymore Theres another site on here I was just at gives a "3 year" gaurantee on the new h20.Im gonna try all this anyway then if no good never touch a sony product again.(they will lose a customer for life along with everyone else I advise against using there products)

GLO is offline EYO forum member I have been around for a while

2 Questions:

1. Is there anyway to fit a HDD to a slimline PS2?

2. Where can i buy a new 'fat' PS2?

As i want to set up HDLoader etc etc

Thanks

Yes you can run a hdd on v12+ with a broadband adapter and hdadvance software.But not all games can be run from hardrive some take alot of work to use that way.You dont need a mod chip apperantly just, swap magic, hd advance,a flip top lid (or glue the switches shut as I do),a hdd and a broadband adapter.If you want to play online you need to patch the game or they know its a backup and wont allow you to play.BB adapter has ide interface for hdd but I think you can use it through usb with usb software.

GLO is offline EYO forum member I have been around for a while

i cant find any links for the v12 (slim) broadband adaptor? ( i thought the network adaptor was built in on the new ones) hence why i think i have to find an v10 PS2?

Got any links? Anyone else shed some more light on this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GLO
    i cant find any links for the v12 (slim) broadband adaptor? ( i thought the network adaptor was built in on the new ones) hence why i think i have to find an v10 PS2?

Got any links? Anyone else shed some more light on this?

Thanks
    Yeh the v12 has an ethernet port for online play but to plug into a hard drive you need broadband adapter.http://www.quantronics.com.au/?_s=pr...=PS2-BROADBAND
    However through the use of usb software I dont see why you cant run a usb hard drive off ps2v12.