porno türk porno rokettube
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 153

Thread: Check your internet speed

  1. #61
    [QUOTE=amber.2;2094432]
    Quote Originally Posted by RANDOID View Post

    Didn't you read what i wrote, The max i can be charged is $59-95, even though i'm on a 12 gig plan,and if i go over the 12 gig my speed will be reduced to 64 kbps so in reality i could use 20 gig but at a slower pace.
    So my usage is unlimited.
    grrrr........

    Unlimited internet plans have no download limit. They are not capped. The speed is never decreased.

    Your speed is decreased when you reach your connections data allowance limit. your connection is reduced to dialup speeds. They do this because if they stopped your connection, they couldn't advertise broadband as being an 'always on' service.

    As i said. THE ENTIRE COUNTRY are on capped broadband plans. just the same as yours. Telstra are the only sharks that advertise it in that fashion because they are the only ones who don't use service caps on certain plans. Telstra makes millions because people are too cheap to pay the extra $20 and get a capped service. With the "unlimited" telstra services, you pay about $150 per gig over the data allowance.

    I have an ADSL1 1.5mb/s connection that has a data allowance of 60gig. after that 60 gig, the speed is decreased to dialup speeds. My service is not unlimited. because it is decreased after the data allowance.

    unlimited plans arn't decreased after the data allowance. in fact, they have no data allowance limit.

    Get it?
    Last edited by RANDOID; 07-05-2007 at 03:01 PM.

  2. #62
    MeanDean's Avatar
    MeanDean is offline Winner - Member most likely to go off topic 2007,2008
    Winner - The Seinfeld Award (the member that most often posts about nothing) 2009
    Winner - The Delorean Mile High Club (solo aviator division) award 2022
    Committed forum member

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Buscando Polla
    Age
    45
    Posts
    5,851
    Blog Entries
    42
    I think you're both right here just depending upon how you look at it. It's how Telstra should be advertising that is more arguable.


    Quote Originally Posted by RANDOID View Post
    Most Linux distributions are distributed via torrenting.

    Many license free movies are also.
    I've seen some really good free software have download links dissapear as well. With some things the torrent is dead but the hosted file is fine.
    Last edited by MeanDean; 07-05-2007 at 03:03 PM.
    #F5F5FF
    Go the Greens!

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    oxley park sydney
    Age
    74
    Posts
    3,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
    I'm with iiNet on their ADSL+2 broadband2 Plus budget account that comes with 600MB... Hu-u-ge
    This costs us (him) $29.95 as we're on the phone bundle... thing... I think it's usually $39.95.

    Sooo..... I'm always getting shaped about halfway through my billing cycle.


    Download Speed: 61 kbps (7.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 615 kbps (76.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

    Be interested to try again when I'm sposed to be on their 24,000 speed

    My daughter is with AAPT and gets 12 gig for $29-95 she has it bundled with her phone rental and calls.
    Her line rental is $27 plus $29-95 adsl and she pays $50 for $120 of phone calls so all up she pays $106-95 a month,
    You can check out their site at AAPT.
    sometimes you win sometimes you lose

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Gippsland, Vic
    Age
    30
    Posts
    400
    just tested the internet at my house on uni campus.

    Download - 7869 Kbps
    Upload - 4506 Kbps

  5. #65
    BiggyRat's Avatar
    BiggyRat is offline 2007 Winner - Damn you can be annoying, but we still like you... sometimes. Committed forum member

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bongo Congo
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Randoid
    As i said. THE ENTIRE COUNTRY are on capped broadband plans. just the same as yours.

    That's not entirely true Randy old chum. Certainly SOME plans which are called "unlimited" are capped or shaped at some point, but NOT ALL plans get capped or shaped. In FACT I'd go so far as to say that technically MOST plans DON'T get shaped OR capped. You're forgetting the plan which is far more common - the $29-95 (random figure) for x number of Mega/Giga bytes per month BUT you pay say 15 cents (another random amount) per extra megabyte OVER the limit - that's neither capping NOR shaping.

    Capping or shaping doesn't make the plan limited as the download limit is in fact not capped, only the SPEED is affected (shaped). Therefore as shaped does not equate to capped then a shaped plan IS technically unlimited, where a capped plan cannot be by definition of the fact it's capped to a certain download limit.

    Last edited by BiggyRat; 07-05-2007 at 04:55 PM.
    "Damned if I do, Damned if I don't, stuffed if I care..." BiggyRat 2010

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    oxley park sydney
    Age
    74
    Posts
    3,117
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyRat View Post
    That's not entirely true Randy old chum. Certainly SOME plans which are called "unlimited" are capped or shaped at some point, but NOT ALL plans get capped or shaped. In FACT I'd go so far as to say that technically MOST plans DON'T get shaped OR capped. You're forgetting the plan which is far more common - the $29-95 (random figure) for x number of Mega/Giga bytes per month BUT you pay say 15 cents (another random amount) per extra megabyte OVER the limit - that's neither capping NOR shaping.

    Capping or shaping doesn't make the plan limited as the download limit is in fact not capped, only the SPEED is affected (shaped). Therefore as shaped does not equate to capped then a shaped plan IS technically unlimited, where a capped plan cannot be by definition of the fact it's capped to a certain download limit.


    Thank you for clearing that up biggy ,now even Randoid understands it .
    sometimes you win sometimes you lose

  7. #67
    ohh right, jump on biggy explanation because it perpetrates your INCORRECT notion.

    seriously, how hard is it to understand...

    YOu car has a limit of 5 people it can carry, a bus has a limit of like 75 people it can carry.

    While you can fit more people in the car and the bus, you receive a significant decrease in vehicle performance.

    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...fm/702613.html

    in MOST countries. They don't pay for a data allowance. They pay for a speeded connection. more money = more speed.

    and regarding you assumption that most of Australia are on charged excess broadband accounts, Telstra don't occupy 50% of the broadband market.

    Optus have no charged access accounts
    http://personal.optus.com.au/web/oca...&site=personal

    Internode have no charged access accounts
    http://www.internode.on.net/adsl/pricing/home.php

    iinet have no charged excess accounts
    http://www.iinet.net.au/products/broadband/plans.html

    TPG have no uncapped charged access accounts
    http://www.tpg.com.au/products_servi...pe=residential

    So i don't see how you can make that claim.

    In contrast, I have an unlimited ancillary diapup connection. with no download limit at all.

    To hammer through the definiti9on of limit, consider this. Freeway's are generally 100 ~ 110 km/h. yet residential streets are 50 ~ 60 km/h. Your speed is limited when driving on residential streets. Your speed doesn't stop, because the definition of limited doesn't necessarily mean limited to a halt. It means its constrained by some limit.

    Therefore as shaped does not equate to capped then a shaped plan IS technically unlimited, where a capped plan cannot be by definition of the fact it's capped to a certain download limit.
    There is no difference between the terms shaped and capped. You just made that up. Do a little research before bleeding your ignorance onto the phorum.

    Your attempting to say that an unlimited plan can be called unlimited while its constrained by a limit. It doesn't make sence. Surely even you can get that. Even in the case of charged excess plans, you still buy an ADSL service with a set data allowance limit. after which you get charged at a different rate. Its still a limit, its a financial limit rather than a technical limit. But its still a limit.
    Last edited by RANDOID; 07-05-2007 at 07:02 PM.

  8. #68
    BiggyRat's Avatar
    BiggyRat is offline 2007 Winner - Damn you can be annoying, but we still like you... sometimes. Committed forum member

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bongo Congo
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,222
    Quote Originally Posted by RANDOID View Post
    ohh right, jump on biggy explanation because it perpetrates your INCORRECT notion.

    seriously, how hard is it to understand...

    YOu car has a limit of 5 people it can carry, a bus has a limit of like 75 people it can carry.

    While you can fit more people in the car and the bus, you receive a significant decrease in vehicle performance.

    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...fm/702613.html

    in MOST countries. They don't pay for a data allowance. They pay for a speeded connection. more money = more speed.

    and regarding you assumption that most of Australia are on charged excess broadband accounts, Telstra don't occupy 50% of the broadband market.

    Optus have no charged access accounts
    http://personal.optus.com.au/web/oca...&site=personal

    Internode have no charged access accounts
    http://www.internode.on.net/adsl/pricing/home.php

    iinet have no charged excess accounts
    http://www.iinet.net.au/products/broadband/plans.html

    TPG have no uncapped charged access accounts
    http://www.tpg.com.au/products_servi...pe=residential

    So i don't see how you can make that claim.

    In contrast, I have an unlimited ancillary diapup connection. with no download limit at all.

    To hammer through the definiti9on of limit, consider this. Freeway's are generally 100 ~ 110 km/h. yet residential streets are 50 ~ 60 km/h. Your speed is limited when driving on residential streets. Your speed doesn't stop, because the definition of limited doesn't necessarily mean limited to a halt. It means its constrained by some limit.

    There is no difference between the terms shaped and capped. You just made that up. Do a little research before bleeding your ignorance onto the phorum.

    Your attempting to say that an unlimited plan can be called unlimited while its constrained by a limit. It doesn't make sence. Surely even you can get that. Even in the case of charged excess plans, you still buy an ADSL service with a set data allowance limit. after which you get charged at a different rate. Its still a limit, its a financial limit rather than a technical limit. But its still a limit.
    Sorry Randy, but as usual your theory is based on a FLAWED analogy. Unlimited downloads means unlimited downloads. By legal definition, unlimited downloads means you can download with no limit to how much you can download. Speed at no time enters into that. Just because something is slowed does not make it any more unlimited or limited. Look at the definition of the terms "definition", "unlimited" and "download". Stating that something STOPS i.e. "capped" at a certain amount means finite (limited), slowing (i.e. "shaping") is NOT finite and is therefore NOT unlimited.
    Last edited by BiggyRat; 07-05-2007 at 09:29 PM.
    "Damned if I do, Damned if I don't, stuffed if I care..." BiggyRat 2010

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyRat View Post
    Sorry Randy, but as usual your theory is based on a FLAWED analogy. Unlimited downloads means unlimited downloads. By legal definition, unlimited downloads means you can download with no limit to how much you can download.
    me flawed...
    i never said anything about unlimited downloads. i said unlimited connections. That was something of your own creation... perhaps a stubborn attempt to seem like your right...

    put on your reading glasses next time

    Speed at no time enters into that. Just because something is slowed does not make it any more unlimited or limited.
    It does when its speed limited

    Look at the definition of the terms "definition", "unlimited" and "download".
    Who's definition? unlimited means without limit. as in a-limited. as in not limited.

    Stating that something STOPS i.e. "capped" at a certain amount means finite (limited),
    Capped refers to the price, not the connection. the price is capped. Its a telecommunications definition used with mobile phone plans as well... look it up.... and get with the times.

    slowing is NOT finite and is therefore NOT unlimited.
    limited doesn't denote a finite circumstance. it denotes a limited circumstance. as in a circumstance constrained my a limit... like 64 kb/s... the difference between a 1 dimensional limit (say, you can only have 5 hamburgers) and a 2 dimensional limit (say you can only have 1 hamburger per hour) is only the constrained limit.

    Both circumstances have limits, the only difference is how its constrained.
    Last edited by RANDOID; 07-05-2007 at 09:39 PM.

  10. #70
    BiggyRat's Avatar
    BiggyRat is offline 2007 Winner - Damn you can be annoying, but we still like you... sometimes. Committed forum member

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bongo Congo
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,222
    Quote Originally Posted by RANDOID View Post
    me flawed...
    i never said anything about unlimited downloads. i said unlimited connections.

    put on your reading glasses next time
    My case is proven and closed, Randy old chump
    I have an unlimited connection, as does anybody with cable and ADSL internet. My connection never times out due to useage or time online.

    Once again methinks you're attempting (unsuccessfully) to change the storyline to suit you.
    "Damned if I do, Damned if I don't, stuffed if I care..." BiggyRat 2010

  11. #71
    Hermit's Avatar
    Hermit is offline 2007 Winner - Thanks for your time as a mod. Drinks are on nsu!
    Winner - The SHUT-UP Award for the best comeback 2009
    Committed forum member

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    South Australia
    Age
    63
    Posts
    5,646
    It has clearly been established now that there are many ways in which internet downloads can be regarded as limited, and that a good case has been made why they can be regarded as unlimited. The debate has been thorough. This thread, however, is about the speed of your internet traffic. Should you wish to continue with resolving what the definition of "limited" in the context of ISP contracts is, please find or create a suitable thread for it.
    Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca 4 BC – AD 65

    God created the universe
    God just exists

  12. #72
    Las's Avatar
    Las is offline -Winner best Avatar Award 2008
    Team Purple Pups . Current champions of Watchie's Quiz Thingie.
    Valued Forum Member
    Committed forum member

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    30
    Posts
    6,113
    Blog Entries
    3
    i also dont know what this stuff means .. all i know is that im pretty happy with what ive been getting considering my dads company is paying for it..

    it says

    843 kbps download
    239 kbps upload.

    im with optus broadband..
    ... Shiny!

    Purple Pups

  13. #73
    custos's Avatar
    custos is offline 2007 Winner - Please don't do an Ozeagle on us. Member who we don't want to lose. Committed forum member

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    It has clearly been established now that there are many ways in which internet downloads can be regarded as limited, and that a good case has been made why they can be regarded as unlimited. The debate has been thorough. This thread, however, is about the speed of your internet traffic. Should you wish to continue with resolving what the definition of "limited" in the context of ISP contracts is, please find or create a suitable thread for it.
    ...and while we're at it, do you say to-mat-to or ta-mah-ta

    Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true. Facts, schmacts. - Homer Simpson

  14. #74
    Hermit's Avatar
    Hermit is offline 2007 Winner - Thanks for your time as a mod. Drinks are on nsu!
    Winner - The SHUT-UP Award for the best comeback 2009
    Committed forum member

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    South Australia
    Age
    63
    Posts
    5,646
    Quote Originally Posted by custos View Post
    ...and while we're at it, do you say to-mat-to or ta-mah-ta
    Neither. Tomatoes are meant to be eaten, not pronounced.

    By the way, you have too much bandwidth. Care to make some of it available to me?
    Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca 4 BC – AD 65

    God created the universe
    God just exists

  15. #75
    Heavenly's Avatar
    Heavenly is offline Winner - Best newbie 2007
    Valued Forum Member
    Committed forum member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Wherever Dora is....
    Posts
    1,119
    Quote Originally Posted by custos View Post
    ...and while we're at it, do you say to-mat-to or ta-mah-ta
    Soooo off topic, but I've been waiting for a chance like this.... This cracks me up

    Spoiler! highlight to see
    Randy, shut up.... this is for you....


    .... WHITE.....RANKERS.... Say it with me...

  16. #76
    Groggypoo's Avatar
    Groggypoo is offline Winner - Best Avatar 2007
    Joint winner - Most Random/Mysterious Member 2007 (with dvder & Tuesday)
    Committed forum member

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bus
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,731
    Boil 'Em, Mash 'Em, Stick 'Em In A Stew.
    Ignore When Necessary
    EvErYbOdY_Is_BeAuTiFUL
    "It's easy to regret your awkward conversations but hard to regret the ones you didn't have."

  17. #77
    BiggyRat's Avatar
    BiggyRat is offline 2007 Winner - Damn you can be annoying, but we still like you... sometimes. Committed forum member

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bongo Congo
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Groggypoo View Post
    Boil 'Em, Mash 'Em, Stick 'Em In A Stew.
    Better still, stick 'em in a curry. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm cuuuuuuuuuuuuryyyyyyyyyyy
    "Damned if I do, Damned if I don't, stuffed if I care..." BiggyRat 2010

  18. #78

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seaford, Melbourne
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,435
    Blog Entries
    54
    we're with iprimus for our broadband...dunno the plan thing tho

    download speed - 473kbps
    upload speed - 106kbps
    That awkward moment when you remember something and are not sure whether it was real or a dream.

  19. #79

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    799
    Broadband Speed Tests:

    My tests 10 May 07
    TSN ADSL 512/128 in Charlestown NSW area

    ---

    http://resources.broadbandguide.com.au/speedtest

    Dload Speed: 401 kbps, Uload Speed: 105 kbps

    ---

    http://www.cnet.com.au/broadband/speedtest.htm

    Dload Speed: 414 kbps

    ---

    http://www.ozspeedtest.com/

    Dload Speed: 382 kbps

    [`[*Test Results*]`]
    [(----------------------------------
    Test run on [*10/05/2007*] @ [*06:18 PM*]

    Mirror: [*TSN Internet*]
    Data: [*600 KB*]
    Test Time: [*12.8 secs*]

    Your line speed is [*382 kbps*] (0.38 Mbps).
    Your download speed is [*48 KB/s*] (0.05 MB/s). )]

    ---

    http://www.speedtest.net/



    ---
    New Printer Ink & Toner Cartridges 50-80% off, via my eBay: http://goo.gl/9qbnBc

  20. #80
    BiggyRat's Avatar
    BiggyRat is offline 2007 Winner - Damn you can be annoying, but we still like you... sometimes. Committed forum member

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bongo Congo
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,222
    "Damned if I do, Damned if I don't, stuffed if I care..." BiggyRat 2010

Similar Threads

  1. how to check cpu speed
    By Ext User(Mr.Mystic) in forum microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-08-2006, 07:23 AM
  2. Broadband speed check
    By Ext User(steam3801) in forum aus.computers
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-07-2006, 10:43 PM
  3. internet speed
    By Ext User(Jasmin) in forum microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-06-2006, 07:43 AM
  4. How to speed up internet
    By stacey in forum microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 20-01-2005, 05:13 PM
  5. Re: OT: Internet Speed
    By changeling in forum aus.tv
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20-01-2004, 09:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •