eyo technlogies For your PC needs

Thread: DivX, SRT and CC

Post DivX, SRT and CC

Hi all.

I am looking for a standalone DVD player which can play DivX/AVI/xvid/RMVB files and can display .srt files at the same time. (I know I have to rename the DivX/AVI files to the same name as .srt files so that the subtitles can be displayed. I have tried this on my laptop and it works.)

Also, this DVD player must also be able to display Region 1 "Closed Captions" (CC). The DVD players I have tried so far cannot display "Closed Captions" from DVDs that are encoded Region 1.

I heard that LG DF8900P did the trick? But this model is no longer available.

Could anyone please help?

Many thanks.

Guvnaar is offline EYO forum member I'm either new or don't have much to say

Try the Pioneer DV-300 & DV-400's.

Quote Originally Posted by Guvnaar View Post
    Try the Pioneer DV-300 & DV-400's.
    Hiya. Thanks for the reply. Just to confirm -- is this player multi-region? I assume you are referring to this model: http://www.buyquick.com.au/shop/Prod...15#description

Many thanks.

snapper is offline Previously known as 'death'
    Valued Forum Member
    Committed forum member

the dv-400 wont do exactly what you want and I doubt the DV-300 will
    I have one and it doesnt play enough of my divx/xvid files.
    Its two months old if someone wants to buy a used on PM me

I have seen the sony DVPNS78H in action, it played 90% of the xvid/divx files I through at it. I dont think it can play H.264 though.
    I have not tested subtitles on it but I can try if I get a chance to play around with it again.
    I did alot more research (when it was too late) and found out the upper model Pioneer DV-600 or something like that may do what you want but this unit is more expensive (closer to $250 which is about $100 more than you can get the sony for).
    I would suggest you ring the major brands (Pioneer, Sony and Panasonic) and see if there top models will do what you want.

All should be multiregion out of the box

Quote Originally Posted by death View Post
    the dv-400 wont do exactly what you want and I doubt the DV-300 will
    I have one and it doesnt play enough of my divx/xvid files.
    Its two months old if someone wants to buy a used on PM me

I have seen the sony DVPNS78H in action, it played 90% of the xvid/divx files I through at it. I dont think it can play H.264 though.
    I have not tested subtitles on it but I can try if I get a chance to play around with it again.
    I did alot more research (when it was too late) and found out the upper model Pioneer DV-600 or something like that may do what you want but this unit is more expensive (closer to $250 which is about $100 more than you can get the sony for).
    I would suggest you ring the major brands (Pioneer, Sony and Panasonic) and see if there top models will do what you want.

All should be multiregion out of the box
    Hiya Death.

The problem with most DVD players is that if a Region 1 DVD is marked "CC" and the phrase "English subtitles" is nowhere to be found on the box or the DVD, the DVD player will not display CC. Some good examples are Region 1's CBS/Paramount TV series like CSI, Medium, Frasier, etc does not have English subtitles marked on the box but have CC printed on the box. However, I have tried several DVD players and they could not display the close captions. I have read from another American forum that not all DVD players sold in US have the capability to display CC.

What do you and other readers think???? Any one knows of a DVD player that can display Region 1's CC?

Thanks.

To "Death" and everyone reading this:

Dunno where my reply went but here it is again.

As I was saying, most DVD players that I have tested could not display Region 1's CC (close captions). If a DVD does not have English subtitles printed anywhere on the box, and if CC is printed on the box, the DVD players that I have tested cannot display CC. Take for example Region 1's CBS/Paramount TV series like Frasier, CSI, Medium and Family Ties. All these titles do not have English subtitles written anywhere on the box. However, CC is available as it is printed on the box. Unfortunately, the DVD players I have tested so far could not display them. Yes, I have tried the subtitle button, the main menu button, etc, but nothing is working.

Can anyone help? Does anyone know of a DVD player that can display Region 1 CC? You folks should try these titles out (mainly CBS TV series) and you'll see for yourself what I am blabbering about. I think Andromeda Slipstream Collection was another one.

I have read on an American forum that not all their DVD players sold in US can display close captions either.

Thanks.