porno türk porno rokettube
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Windows 7/XP and RealPlayer versus IDM and VLC

  1. #1
    Ext User(choro) Guest

    Windows 7/XP and RealPlayer versus IDM and VLC

    Downloaded a video with RealPlayer Plus which had cost me a lot of money
    to say nothing about the extra extortion for a fast downloader add-on
    which worked ONLY on some sites, NOT all sites.

    Anyway, couldn't play the downloaded video and was advised by a pop-up
    that I should upgrade to the latest version. And guess what RealPlayer
    wanted £20 less a penny for the Upgrade OR otherwise I would revert back
    to the basic free edition which I did because I don't believe in paying
    a ransom!

    And with the Upgrade my IDM would no longer be there to download stuff.
    RealPlayer had seen to that! Shit, I thought!

    So I downgraded back to my old RealPlayer but still no IDM there waiting
    for me to click it and download the video.

    But to crown it all, the same video I had earlier downloaded with
    RealPlayer would NOT play either in RealPlayer or any of the other
    players. The image was there in one or two of the other players but *NO
    SOUND*!

    Good old Revo Uninstaller came to the rescue and I uninstalled both
    RealPlayer and anything that had to do with RealPlayer. And, you've
    guessed it, up popped a Window offering me a $5 voucher to use towards
    the ransom they demanded.

    *GOOD RIDDANCE!*



    Anybody else out there who went through the same experience?

    Your comments please.

    I certainly like both IDM (Internet Download Manager) which charges a
    very reasonable small sum as well as with VLC which is free. In fact I
    am so pleased with VLC that I have recommended it to some of my personal
    friends and am seriously considering making a donation to them. Well
    done VLC!
    --
    choro
    *****

  2. #2
    Ext User(Gene E. Bloch) Guest

    Re: Windows 7/XP and RealPlayer versus IDM and VLC

    On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 04:42:16 +0100, choro wrote:

    > Downloaded a video with RealPlayer Plus which had cost me a lot of money
    > to say nothing about the extra extortion for a fast downloader add-on
    > which worked ONLY on some sites, NOT all sites.
    >
    > Anyway, couldn't play the downloaded video and was advised by a pop-up
    > that I should upgrade to the latest version. And guess what RealPlayer
    > wanted £20 less a penny for the Upgrade OR otherwise I would revert back
    > to the basic free edition which I did because I don't believe in paying
    > a ransom!
    >
    > And with the Upgrade my IDM would no longer be there to download stuff.
    > RealPlayer had seen to that! Shit, I thought!
    >
    > So I downgraded back to my old RealPlayer but still no IDM there waiting
    > for me to click it and download the video.
    >
    > But to crown it all, the same video I had earlier downloaded with
    > RealPlayer would NOT play either in RealPlayer or any of the other
    > players. The image was there in one or two of the other players but *NO
    > SOUND*!
    >
    > Good old Revo Uninstaller came to the rescue and I uninstalled both
    > RealPlayer and anything that had to do with RealPlayer. And, you've
    > guessed it, up popped a Window offering me a $5 voucher to use towards
    > the ransom they demanded.
    >
    > *GOOD RIDDANCE!*
    >
    > Anybody else out there who went through the same experience?
    >
    > Your comments please.
    >
    > I certainly like both IDM (Internet Download Manager) which charges a
    > very reasonable small sum as well as with VLC which is free. In fact I
    > am so pleased with VLC that I have recommended it to some of my personal
    > friends and am seriously considering making a donation to them. Well
    > done VLC!


    Details are lost in the mists of time, but I stopped using Real Player a
    *long* time ago. IIRC, the program was quite intrusive.

    Back in that day (mid to late 90s), there was a program called something
    like RealPlayer Alternative that played RP videos while remaining
    relatively kind to the user, but I even stopped using that.

    This was in the USA (I live here, after all). I have no idea what went
    on then, or goes on now, elsewhere.

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

  3. #3
    Ext User(The Other Guy) Guest

    Re: Windows 7/XP and RealPlayer versus IDM and VLC

    On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 04:42:16 +0100, choro <choro@tvco.net> wrote:

    >Anybody else out there who went through the same experience?


    Pretty much, but LONG ago, and NEVER again.
    Went to RealAlternative for a while, and now VLC.

    >I certainly like both IDM (Internet Download Manager)


    I use Free Download Manager (FDM) which is free (of course)







    To reply by email, lose the Ks...


  4. #4
    Ext User(Char Jackson) Guest

    Re: Windows 7/XP and RealPlayer versus IDM and VLC

    On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 22:52:49 -0700, The Other Guy <KnewsKgnus@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 04:42:16 +0100, choro <choro@tvco.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Anybody else out there who went through the same experience?

    >
    >Pretty much, but LONG ago, and NEVER again.
    >Went to RealAlternative for a while, and now VLC.


    +1, but Media Player Classic rather than VLC in my case.

    >>I certainly like both IDM (Internet Download Manager)

    >
    >I use Free Download Manager (FDM) which is free (of course)


    +1

    --

    Char Jackson

  5. #5
    Ext User(SC Tom) Guest

    Re: Windows 7/XP and RealPlayer versus IDM and VLC



    "choro" <choro@tvco.net> wrote in message
    news:sONzt.1027$SB6.595@fx34.am4...
    > Downloaded a video with RealPlayer Plus which had cost me a lot of money
    > to say nothing about the extra extortion for a fast downloader add-on
    > which worked ONLY on some sites, NOT all sites.
    >
    > Anyway, couldn't play the downloaded video and was advised by a pop-up
    > that I should upgrade to the latest version. And guess what RealPlayer
    > wanted £20 less a penny for the Upgrade OR otherwise I would revert back
    > to the basic free edition which I did because I don't believe in paying a
    > ransom!
    >
    > And with the Upgrade my IDM would no longer be there to download stuff.
    > RealPlayer had seen to that! Shit, I thought!
    >
    > So I downgraded back to my old RealPlayer but still no IDM there waiting
    > for me to click it and download the video.
    >
    > But to crown it all, the same video I had earlier downloaded with
    > RealPlayer would NOT play either in RealPlayer or any of the other
    > players. The image was there in one or two of the other players but *NO
    > SOUND*!
    >
    > Good old Revo Uninstaller came to the rescue and I uninstalled both
    > RealPlayer and anything that had to do with RealPlayer. And, you've
    > guessed it, up popped a Window offering me a $5 voucher to use towards the
    > ransom they demanded.
    >
    > *GOOD RIDDANCE!*
    >
    >
    >
    > Anybody else out there who went through the same experience?
    >
    > Your comments please.
    >
    > I certainly like both IDM (Internet Download Manager) which charges a very
    > reasonable small sum as well as with VLC which is free. In fact I am so
    > pleased with VLC that I have recommended it to some of my personal friends
    > and am seriously considering making a donation to them. Well done VLC!


    I have had VLC player for a few years now since Windows Media Player wanted
    its customers to buy an add-on for DIVX(?) and other formats. And since the
    Windows Media Center "Upgrade" on Win8 is a joke (on me, anyhow), I have it
    installed on my Win8 Pro and did away with the WMC fiasco. I can't say
    enough good things about VLC. I even have the portable version installed on
    my Android tablet.

    I'm with Gene on Real Player; I haven't had it installed since my WinXP PC,
    instead opting for the RP Alternative, and then VLC. There were (are?) some
    RP files that VLC won't play, but they were so rare that it wasn't a big
    deal.

    I have a relatively trouble-free internet connection so I haven't found a
    need for a download manager. But, back in the early cable days in this area
    (South Carolina), it wasn't as reliable as it is now (and nowhere near as
    fast), so I used FDM as mentioned by The Other Guy. Worked well enough for
    me :-)

    I'm glad you like VLC. It definitely is a worthwhile project.
    --
    SC Tom



  6. #6
    Ext User(Michael Swift) Guest

    Re: Windows 7/XP and RealPlayer versus IDM and VLC

    In article <1sw6n28j2t82c.dlg@stumbler1907.invalid>, Gene E. Bloch
    <not-me@other.invalid> writes
    >
    >Back in that day (mid to late 90s), there was a program called something like
    >RealPlayer Alternative that played RP videos while remaining relatively kind
    >to the user, but I even stopped using that


    I'm still using Media Player Classic for the odd sites I visit which
    demands Real Player for sound and video, gave up on RP years ago because
    it wanted to control everything.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Swift We do not regard Englishmen as foreigners.
    Kirkheaton We look on them only as rather mad Norwegians.
    Yorkshire Halvard Lange

  7. #7
    Ext User(choro) Guest

    Re: Windows 7/XP and RealPlayer versus IDM and VLC

    On 30/06/2013 08:44, Char Jackson wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 22:52:49 -0700, The Other Guy <KnewsKgnus@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 04:42:16 +0100, choro <choro@tvco.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anybody else out there who went through the same experience?

    >>
    >> Pretty much, but LONG ago, and NEVER again.
    >> Went to RealAlternative for a while, and now VLC.

    >
    > +1, but Media Player Classic rather than VLC in my case.


    Same here but my favorite is VLC for its simplicity and usability. It's
    got everything I could wish in such a useful and unobtrusive layout. One
    thing I noticed though is that on a W7 machine it will show the Playlist
    in a separate pane while on my XP laptop it shows it in the same pane
    but reduces the size of the video image. I also like the ability to
    select whole folders to play through. It is *so* simple to use.

    >
    >>> I certainly like both IDM (Internet Download Manager)

    >>
    >> I use Free Download Manager (FDM) which is free (of course)

    >
    > +1


    That's interesting. But I can tell you that IDM downloads everything @
    lightning speed. And it can download several items simultaneously. How's
    FDM in that respect?
    --
    choro
    *****

  8. #8
    Ext User(The Other Guy) Guest

    Re: Windows 7/XP and RealPlayer versus IDM and VLC

    On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 16:40:46 +0100, choro <choro@tvco.net> wrote:

    >That's interesting. But I can tell you that IDM downloads everything @
    >lightning speed. And it can download several items simultaneously. How's
    >FDM in that respect?


    The same. I seldom need to resume, but it does that well,
    and you can set how many segments DL at one time.







    To reply by email, lose the Ks...


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •