porno türk porno rokettube
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: What is the fundamental difference between Vista and Windows 7

  1. #1
    Ext User(Jordan) Guest

    What is the fundamental difference between Vista and Windows 7

    A friend gave me a unused copy of Windows Vista but I'm wondering
    if I should just buy Windows 7.

    Can you just let me know the fundamental difference between
    Windows Vista and Windows 7?


  2. #2
    Ext User(John Williamson) Guest

    Re: What is the fundamental difference between Vista and Windows7

    Jordan wrote:
    > A friend gave me a unused copy of Windows Vista but I'm wondering
    > if I should just buy Windows 7.
    >
    > Can you just let me know the fundamental difference between
    > Windows Vista and Windows 7?
    >

    Yes, Windows 7 works better and is more compatible with older programs
    and hardware.

    --
    Tciao for Now!

    John.

  3. #3
    Ext User(p-0''0-h the cat (ES)) Guest

    Re: What is the fundamental difference between Vista and Windows 7

    On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 22:34:24 +0000 (UTC), Jordan <Jordan@is.invalid>
    wrote:

    >A friend gave me a unused copy of Windows Vista but I'm wondering
    >if I should just buy Windows 7.
    >
    >Can you just let me know the fundamental difference between
    >Windows Vista and Windows 7?


    I'd save your money.

    --
    p-0.0-h the cat

    Internet Terrorist, Mass sock puppeteer, Agent provocateur, Gutter rat,
    Devil incarnate, Linux user#666, BaStarD hacker, Resident evil, Monkey Boy,
    Certifiable criminal, Spineless cowardly scum, textbook Psychopath,
    the SCOURGE, l33t p00h d3 tr0ll, p00h == lam3r, p00h == tr0ll, troll infâme,
    the OVERCAT [The BEARPAIR are dead, and we are its murderers], lowlife troll,
    shyster [pending approval by STATE_TERROR], cripple, sociopath, kook,
    smug prick, smartarse, arsehole, moron, idiot.

    Honorary SHYSTER and FRAUD awarded for services to Haberdashery.
    By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.



  4. #4
    Ext User(mick) Guest

    Re: What is the fundamental difference between Vista and Windows 7

    > A friend gave me a unused copy of Windows Vista but I'm wondering
    > if I should just buy Windows 7.
    >
    > Can you just let me know the fundamental difference between
    > Windows Vista and Windows 7?


    Vista worked well for me, but a lot of people had many problems with
    it.
    Win 7 is far better, quicker and slicker on the same computer that I
    had Vista on.
    If its free to you, you are not losing anything by trying it other than
    the time to install it and other software.

    --
    mick



  5. #5
    Ext User(Mark Warner) Guest

    Re: What is the fundamental difference between Vista and Windows7

    On 08/16/2013 07:16 PM, mick wrote:
    >> A friend gave me a unused copy of Windows Vista but I'm wondering
    >> if I should just buy Windows 7.
    >>
    >> Can you just let me know the fundamental difference between
    >> Windows Vista and Windows 7?


    Vista got a bad rap initially because MSFT knuckled under to Intel and
    allowed the OEMs to use underpowered CPUs with Vista installtions.
    Legacy peripheral support was lacking as well. If you install it to a
    modern machine, it performs well. Peripheral support has caught up too.

    > Vista worked well for me, but a lot of people had many problems with it.
    > Win 7 is far better, quicker and slicker on the same computer that I had
    > Vista on.


    I would agree with "better, quicker and slicker". It just seems more
    refined. What Vista *should* have been.

    > If its free to you, you are not losing anything by trying it other than
    > the time to install it and other software.


    It would (should?) also be cheaper to /upgrade/ to W7 from Vista than to
    buy W7 outright.

    --
    Mark Warner
    MEPIS Linux
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  6. #6
    Ext User(Johnny) Guest

    Re: What is the fundamental difference between Vista and Windows7

    On 8/16/2013 5:34 PM, Jordan wrote:
    > A friend gave me a unused copy of Windows Vista but I'm wondering
    > if I should just buy Windows 7.
    >
    > Can you just let me know the fundamental difference between
    > Windows Vista and Windows 7?
    >


    There is not a lot of difference. I used Vista for almost four years,
    and the only time I had problems was when I installed updates, but that
    has happened with Windows 7 too.

    The big difference I noticed was watching videos. With Vista they were
    choppy, and would just stop while buffering. With Windows 7 I don't
    have that problem, and I'm still with AT&T and still have the same
    download speed.

    I bought my copy of Windows 7 from the Microsoft Store in February or
    March of this year. I don't know if they are still selling it.





  7. #7
    Ext User(Jenny Telia) Guest

    Re: What is the fundamental difference between Vista and Windows7

    On 17/08/2013 00:34, Jordan wrote:
    > A friend gave me a unused copy of Windows Vista but I'm wondering
    > if I should just buy Windows 7.
    >
    > Can you just let me know the fundamental difference between
    > Windows Vista and Windows 7?
    >


    My feeling at the time of release of Win 7 was that Windows 7 was an
    extreme makeover for Vista - a super SPn release, where n > 5. (I
    dropped Vista as soon as I could and upgraded to Win 7).

  8. #8
    Ext User(Ashton Crusher) Guest

    Re: What is the fundamental difference between Vista and Windows 7

    On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 22:34:24 +0000 (UTC), Jordan <Jordan@is.invalid>
    wrote:

    >A friend gave me a unused copy of Windows Vista but I'm wondering
    >if I should just buy Windows 7.
    >
    >Can you just let me know the fundamental difference between
    >Windows Vista and Windows 7?


    In my experience they wind up being very similar once all the service
    packs have been applied to Vista. If you get it free and are doing a
    clean installation followed by going to Windows Update and installing
    all updates and service packs I think you'll find it's almost
    identical in function to Win7.

  9. #9
    Ext User(wasbit) Guest

    Re: What is the fundamental difference between Vista and Windows 7

    "Jordan" <Jordan@is.invalid> wrote in message
    news:kum9dg$ehp$1@news.albasani.net...
    > A friend gave me a unused copy of Windows Vista but I'm wondering
    > if I should just buy Windows 7.
    >
    > Can you just let me know the fundamental difference between
    > Windows Vista and Windows 7?
    >


    Read Mark Warner's reply plus Vista needs 2GB RAM then it runs fine.

    HTH

    Regards
    wasbit


  10. #10
    Ext User(Mark Warner) Guest

    Re: What is the fundamental difference between Vista and Windows7

    On 08/17/2013 06:11 AM, wasbit wrote:
    > "Jordan" <Jordan@is.invalid> wrote in message
    > news:kum9dg$ehp$1@news.albasani.net...
    >> A friend gave me a unused copy of Windows Vista but I'm wondering
    >> if I should just buy Windows 7.
    >>
    >> Can you just let me know the fundamental difference between
    >> Windows Vista and Windows 7?

    >
    > Read Mark Warner's reply plus Vista needs 2GB RAM then it runs fine.


    W7 needs the same. I'd recommend 4G for either.

    --
    Mark Warner
    MEPIS Linux
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  11. #11
    Ext User(Stan Brown) Guest

    Re: What is the fundamental difference between Vista and Windows 7

    On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 22:34:24 +0000 (UTC), Jordan wrote:
    >
    > A friend gave me a unused copy of Windows Vista but I'm wondering
    > if I should just buy Windows 7.
    >
    > Can you just let me know the fundamental difference between
    > Windows Vista and Windows 7?


    Win 7 doesn't suck anywhere nearly as badly as Vista.

    The most obvious example is permissions, which are sometimes
    troublesome in Win 7 but are a huge, huge headache in Vista.

    In any case, you may or may not be able to use the Vista that your
    friend gave you. If it's a disk associated with a n installed copy
    that has already been activated, you won't be able to get a valid
    license.

    --
    Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Shikata ga nai...

  12. #12
    Ext User(Jax) Guest

    Re: What is the fundamental difference between Vista and Windows 7

    Jordan <Jordan@is.invalid> wrote in news:kum9dg$ehp$1@news.albasani.net:

    > A friend gave me a unused copy of Windows Vista but I'm wondering
    > if I should just buy Windows 7.
    >
    > Can you just let me know the fundamental difference between
    > Windows Vista and Windows 7?


    Jordan the difference is Irok can't infect Windows 7. Just saying!

    --
    Jax

  13. #13
    Ext User(FromTheRafters) Guest

    Re: What is the fundamental difference between Vista and Windows 7

    On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 23:31:27 +0100
    Jax <remove.bear.bottoms1@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Jordan <Jordan@is.invalid> wrote in news:kum9dg$ehp$1@news.albasani.net:
    >
    > > A friend gave me a unused copy of Windows Vista but I'm wondering
    > > if I should just buy Windows 7.
    > >
    > > Can you just let me know the fundamental difference between
    > > Windows Vista and Windows 7?

    >
    > Jordan the difference is Irok can't infect Windows 7. Just saying!
    >

    It probably could if it had an MZ header.

  14. #14
    Ext User(Jordan) Guest

    Re: What is the fundamental difference between Vista and Windows 7

    On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 11:08:31 -0400, Stan Brown wrote:

    > In any case, you may or may not be able to use the Vista that your
    > friend gave you. If it's a disk associated with a n installed copy
    > that has already been activated, you won't be able to get a valid
    > license.


    He told me that he retired his PC that came with Vista and that
    he never used the disks after installing it on that PC so I'm
    sure Microsoft will be fine with that.

    The license is transferable, right?


  15. #15
    Ext User(Wolf K) Guest

    Re: What is the fundamental difference between Vista and Windows7

    On 2013-08-18 7:46 AM, Jordan wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 11:08:31 -0400, Stan Brown wrote:
    >
    >> In any case, you may or may not be able to use the Vista that your
    >> friend gave you. If it's a disk associated with a n installed copy
    >> that has already been activated, you won't be able to get a valid
    >> license.

    >
    > He told me that he retired his PC that came with Vista and that
    > he never used the disks after installing it on that PC so I'm
    > sure Microsoft will be fine with that.
    >
    > The license is transferable, right?


    Maybe. You'll probably have to phone MS to activate that copy of Vista
    on another machine. If it was tied to the original computer, you won't
    be able to transfer it.


    --
    Best,
    Wolf K
    kirkwood40.blogspot.ca

  16. #16
    Ext User(Jordan) Guest

    Re: What is the fundamental difference between Vista and Windows 7

    On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 08:11:22 -0400, Wolf K wrote:

    > Maybe. You'll probably have to phone MS to activate that copy of Vista
    > on another machine. If it was tied to the original computer, you won't
    > be able to transfer it.


    Interesting that you say that.

    I first tried automatic activation, which failed.
    I then called Microsoft at 888-725-1047 and got the automated machine.
    It asked how many machines this was installed on previously, and I said 1.
    Then it had me enter 9 sets of six-digits as an "installation ID".
    Then it gave me a similar set of 8 times six-digit "confirmation ID".
    Then it said "Activation was successful".

    What was *that* all about anyway?


  17. #17
    Ext User(Wolf K) Guest

    Re: What is the fundamental difference between Vista and Windows7

    On 2013-08-18 3:12 PM, Jordan wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 08:11:22 -0400, Wolf K wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe. You'll probably have to phone MS to activate that copy of Vista
    >> on another machine. If it was tied to the original computer, you won't
    >> be able to transfer it.

    >
    > Interesting that you say that.
    >
    > I first tried automatic activation, which failed.
    > I then called Microsoft at 888-725-1047 and got the automated machine.
    > It asked how many machines this was installed on previously, and I said 1.
    > Then it had me enter 9 sets of six-digits as an "installation ID".
    > Then it gave me a similar set of 8 times six-digit "confirmation ID".
    > Then it said "Activation was successful".
    >
    > What was *that* all about anyway?


    The automatic activation failed because the OS copy was tied to the
    previous machine. AFAICT, there are different kinds of tie. In my case,
    the copy of XP (!) on the original media wouldn't activate
    automatically. When I phoned, I got a human, who asked for the key, and
    told me to enter it. I did. No joy. Then the line went dead, and I
    called again. The new human asked for the key, said he'd check it, and
    then told me I couldn't activate this copy because it was from the
    manufacturer of the original PC.

    I've yet to find a truly authoritative account of all the way Windows XP
    and up can and cannot be activated.

    HTH

    --
    Best,
    Wolf K
    kirkwood40.blogspot.ca

  18. #18
    Ext User(Jordan) Guest

    Re: What is the fundamental difference between Vista and Windows 7

    On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 15:51:59 -0400, Wolf K wrote:

    > I've yet to find a truly authoritative account of all the way Windows XP
    > and up can and cannot be activated.


    Well, the method worked for me that I said.
    I'm guessing the 9x6=54-digit number was my computer.

    If it was my computer, then it was absolutely nothing like the previous
    computer that it was installed on by my friend.

    I'm guessing that's why the automatic activation failed.
    Then, when I called 888-725-1047, I'm not sure WHY it asked me how many
    computers the disc had previously been installed on, but, luckily, me
    saying "one" seems to be the magic response.

    Then it generated another 8x6=48 numbers, which, I guess, is what
    unlocked Windows to be activated.

    Now that was on 32 bit. I plan on installing the 64 bit.
    Do you think I can just type in those numbers again?
    Or do you think I'll have to go through the entire process again?


  19. #19
    Ext User(Gene E. Bloch) Guest

    Re: What is the fundamental difference between Vista and Windows 7

    On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 23:02:32 +0000 (UTC), Jordan wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 15:51:59 -0400, Wolf K wrote:
    >
    >> I've yet to find a truly authoritative account of all the way Windows XP
    >> and up can and cannot be activated.

    >
    > Well, the method worked for me that I said.
    > I'm guessing the 9x6=54-digit number was my computer.
    >
    > If it was my computer, then it was absolutely nothing like the previous
    > computer that it was installed on by my friend.
    >
    > I'm guessing that's why the automatic activation failed.
    > Then, when I called 888-725-1047, I'm not sure WHY it asked me how many
    > computers the disc had previously been installed on, but, luckily, me
    > saying "one" seems to be the magic response.
    >
    > Then it generated another 8x6=48 numbers, which, I guess, is what
    > unlocked Windows to be activated.
    >
    > Now that was on 32 bit. I plan on installing the 64 bit.
    > Do you think I can just type in those numbers again?
    > Or do you think I'll have to go through the entire process again?


    The numbers aren't your computer; rather, they seem to be one-time keys
    for the Windows installation.

    You will have to go through the process again, and IIRC, if you have
    written the keys down, you will be able to see that both keys have
    changed.

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •